Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been lots of posts on this, but most of them are just turning off IMA. I know that its intigrated with the flywheel. So is there a flywheel out there that would fit the insight? Is there anyone who has removed everything and put an alternator where the a/c is at? Also I was wondering is there anything that runs higher than 12 volts in the car?

So if you were to remove all the IMA the car could still perform how its supposed to just off the 12 volt battery. I know it would be gutless at 67 HP but how many HP does the IMA add? I heard that is 13 HP that it adds. My IMA dies all the time and when its rechargeing it still gets up and goes decent "with manuel trans". And once you drop that 150 pounds for the IMA it should be more responsive right?

1850 for the insight minus 150 battery pack and 50 for the a/c is 1650 thats 1 HP for every 24.6 pounds. And for the IMA system its 1 HP for every 11.5 I know thats not exact cause you still have to put in a flywheel and an alternator but its pretty close.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
AFAIK its not been done. Nor have any off the shelf components been identified to allow the conversion. There should be performance improvements (MPG, highway only) and losses (acceleration, MPG city: no more auto stop). You can effectively see how "much" IMA boost there is (by the seat of the pants) by switching off the IMA system at the breaker under the rear hatch cover. IIRC you'll be in 12v discharge so don't drive too far or long.

See:

Gut it
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3191

for one of several threads on this subject.

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I believe if you remove the IMA completely you will produce a number of error codes. Torque is what gives you acceleration and the ICE produces little of it at low RPM. First gear is very tall for a toque challenged motor so you will be slipping the clutch a lot in first and probably need to replace it from time to time. (Think 3 cylinder Geo Metro with no first gear.) You won't have AC. The engine will vibrate more when idling and won't shut off when stopped. This combined with no regenerative braking will hurt your gas mileage. The engine will have to be revved higher opening the secondary valves on the VTEC system and this will further reduce mileage. You will have to custom fabricate the alternator bracket. In addition to the cost of the alternator, you will probably be faced with alternator and starter replacements at some point, further increasing the cost of the project. If you remove the IMA system you will have to redo the interior of the car as the finishing does not extend below the battery box. You will not be able to install rear seats and the front seats will not be reclineable due to the structural members behind it. The resale value of your car will drop dramatically as well.

Other than that it should be fairly straightforward.

Why not sell it to someone that will appreciate it and deal with any IMA issues it has? Then use the money to buy another fuel efficient small car.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
(Think 3 cylinder Geo Metro with no first gear.)
Tried switching yours off yet Kip :?: Yup :!: Its like a Geo Metro (I rented one on a vacation one year) But its not like there's no first gear. Read; Its bad, but not that bad. ;)

And IMO highway MPG improvements will only be _slight_ since the only change will be some weight loss. But I did forget about the electronic dynamic engine balancer function that the IMA provides at idle.

It's a _very_ complex and challanging mod. With limited benefits (IMO).

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I got to holda civic IMA motor rotor in my hand at the Up Your Volts event , and see how it all fits together. The major surgery needed to remove it in my opinion would not save enough weight to matter. The rotor only weighs about 2-3 lbs, and the coil assembly is maybe 20-30, most being the iorn core of the coils. The flywheel bolts right on the IMA rotor. The tranny mounts to the IMA coil assembly, and needs the IMA coil assembly as a spacer to be in the proper relationship to the flywheel. You would need a replacement spacer to reassemble the drive.
IMA problems can be fixed, and when all is working well, the electric torque really makes the car fun to drive.
I have 400 lbs extra weight in the car, and have not found that the extra weight is a big MPG hit, probably because MIMA through more agressive IMA use easily compensates for it.
With the high price of gas, you should find a buyer that will fix the IMA, and still give you a nice price for the car as is?

·
Registered
33 Posts
And IMO highway MPG improvements will only be _slight_ since the only change will be some weight loss. But I did forget about the electronic dynamic engine balancer function that the IMA provides at idle.
At steady-speed driving weight loss is a minor issue, since you're already up to speed, the inertia of the extra batteries is irrelevant. Reduced mass helps dramatically during accelerations, or during hill climbs, where you're certainly worse off without IMA. The only MPG benefit from weight loss would be a slight improvement in tire rolling resistance.

You also wouldn't have the benefit of the IMA balancing the accessory charging loads, your alternator will need to spin continually, rather than the way IMA charges more intensely under light engine load, and not at all when the engine is under heavy load.

If you wanted to match the performance of the IMA hybrid, with a bit of a sacrifice in MPG, you may be able to add a small turbocharger -- that should improve acceleration performance (at the expense of some fuel), but provide roughly the same, or maybe even slightly better MPG at highway speeds by dropping the RPMs a little under cruising.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Double-Trinity said:
If you wanted to match the performance of the IMA hybrid, with a bit of a sacrifice in MPG, you may be able to add a small turbocharger -- that should improve acceleration performance (at the expense of some fuel), but provide roughly the same, or maybe even slightly better MPG at highway speeds by dropping the RPMs a little under cruising.
Been done by 3 members in here (and AFAIK there are only 4 in the country, 1 member did it on 2 Insights )

If the transmission ratios were also changed to better match the the new turbo engine's power curve then I'd agree, there is a slight but significant potential there. However, AFAIK there are no off-the-shelf parts to accomplish this making it potentially more expensive than the turbo mod itself. :shock: ;)

IIRC the turbo'ers have posted that power and performance are increased and when driven as such MPG is comparable to a non turbo models under similar conditions (that potential MPG increase we're talking about). But when driven in the hyper MPG style there is no significant difference. Probably lean-burn and gear ratio related.

HTH! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts