Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after getting ensnared in a safety traffic stop and receiving a window tint ticket i was forced to finally remove my tint ... I hate NY ... they just passed the damn anti-tint law in january ... but i digress ... i got rid of the tint with a hair dryer and razor blade but the stubborn clear glue remains ... i tried lighter fluid, windex and razor blades but its tedious and not altogether effective ... the most popular online recommendation seems to be ultra fine steel wool and ammonia but b4 doing that i'd see if anyone on the forum was familiar with a proven remedy ... thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,724 Posts

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I've got purple remains and glue all over my windows. It's been a long, slow process. Tons of elbow grease. I've tried every chemical people recommend and none make it come off "easy." You still have to work a tiny area at a time.

If I charged myself going labor rates, I would have just replaced the hatch glass 2-3 times by now.

Goo Gone works as well as anything else (not very).

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Sometimes a little bit of heat from a hair dryer will soften the residue, then you can use a razor blade to remove.
(From experience)

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
41 Posts
I removed dark window tint from my old Civic VX with a steamer used for curtains, it took all the glue with it and left the windows squeaky clean.
I am sure steam from any source will remove the glue.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
try carburetor or brake cleaner. i'd avoid a razor as you can easily damage your rear defroster grid.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had mine removed at the tint shop. $50 for the front two windows.

Took them 1/2 hour. I tried to see what they used but the spray bottle had no label. I think they made something themselves or bought "industrial" size.

The car did not smell or ammonia or strong chemical order.

Here in NJ they are cracking down on front window tints. They shop said they did more removals in the last month than the previous two years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
framednlv
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing