Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have had a rough few days with my 2001 Insight. Hopefully, one of you would be able to help me with this issue.

My problem is basically that my 12 Volt battery continually discharges. For some preliminary details, I have had an IMA warning light since I first got the car a few months ago and have not attempted to fix it because just using the gas engine worked fine. I also have a persistent Check Engine Light.

My problem is as follows: When I am driving, I will first see the Emergency Brake light and red battery light (Below the check engine light). Usually, whenever I exceed 4000 RPM, these two lights come on and then soon turn off. Following those lights, the ABS light turns on, and I notice a reduction in power. Then, if I turn the A/C on, the Power Steering Light (EPS) turns on, I notice a dramatic reduction in power, and the dashboard begins to flicker. If I turn the A/C off, it returns to the previous state until is is about to die. Once it starts to die, everything begins to flicker and the car eventually stalls. Whenever I jump-start the car, it will move just fine for a few feet, then repeat the same cycle, and die once more, even faster than before.

I just bought a brand new battery yesterday believing that it would solve the issue, but it has not. I'm not sure what else to do at this point. If you have any suggestions, questions, or advice, please let me know.

In the event that I cannot get it fixed, would it be best to part it out and then sell it to a junker? Any advice there?

Thank you all,
Ethan Klahn

·
Super Moderator
9,266 Posts
Check the two ground straps under the Air Filter, and the one from 12V battery to firewall. Give them a good hard tug.

Go by an auto parts store and get your codes read. List the codes for us.

Sounds like dc-dc converter isn't charging the battery. If that is only problem, you can get it to charge by bypassing the IMA battery. Use google search in top left of page to search for method.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
What you are describing is basically the third and final stage of a dying hybrid battery.
Stage 1) IMA light is on intermittently
Stage 2) IMA light is on, as well as check engine

Stage 3) IMA light is, as well as many others like check engine and most importantly red 12v battery light. The 12v battery light is on because the car has deteriorated so badly it permanently turns off the charging system for all accessories. Basically because of the neglected hybrid battery the "alternator" will join longer do it's job either.

You will need to stop ignoring your failed hybrid battery and deal with it in some way.

Do you have to get you car smog tested? Can you pass if the check engine lights are on?

Approximately $2500 for a replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Temporarily Fixed

One of my grounding cables below the air filter was frayed to pieces, so I purchased a new one. The issue persisted so I went ahead and bypassed the IMA which seems to have worked. I got it home and put it on a trickle charger to try and help it out. I will send further updates soon. Thank you all for now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You could also try cleaning the terminals on the 12v battery, I was having all sorts of electrical issues because my terminals were extremely corroded and dirty, cleaning them fixed all the problems. It sounds like you also will need a grid charger to restore your IMA battery a bit. You will likely need a new battery soon, but a grid charger should help you squeeze a few more months out of it. I hope this will help. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
9,266 Posts
Get one of those little plug-in voltmeters for the lighter socket. That way you will actually be able to see what the charging is like. Some auto parts stores have them and they are always available on eBay.

If the battery is at a low state, you should see over 14V on the little meter. Insights treat 12V batteries very badly, sometimes leaving at less than 12V when parked. Expect fairly short 12V battery life even when it is working correctly.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
If you need some help there is a excellent shop in Covina ,Scott is his name he does excellent work and can help you with grid charger and install harness,he's the man on west coast,highly recommended and a great knowledge when it comes to your car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.