Honda Insight Forum banner

Repair costs

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  b1shmu63 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'm looking for a 2000-2 Insight. I've been looking at the great posts here to get some idea about any negatives. The positives are many of course. Any experiences with engine repairs? It seems like the low sales volumes would make parts expensive and the repair time longer. Is this correct?

Thanks!

#2 ·
You are correct. The same would be true for any limited production vehicle. Parts that are not normal wear items will have to be sent from Japan. However if you buy a relatively low mileage Insight and use synthetic oil, you will probably go for many years without major expenses. Some have obtained aftermarket warranties for reasonable amounts. Honda engines will easily outlast a steel body, however the aluminum body of the Insight may last for decades. That was the foremost appeal of the Insight for me. :D

#3 ·
I hate to be negative, but I know of 3 Insight's that have needed engines locally before 90,000 miles. I don't know the stories behind them, but considering the price of a long block for an Insight it scared me enough to get an extended warranty.

BTW, I'm pretty sure they stock an engine or two in California at any given time.

#4 ·
Use of 0W20 oil might be the cause of faster than normal wear, though I doubt it. A crack or casting defect in the Magnesium oil pan could cause a catastrophic loss of oil. I know of a fellow who ran his Prelude dry of coolant on a bridge in traffic. His engine siezed up. I knew another fellow who used to drive a 76 Civic at the redline for 2 hours a day. After 5 months his engine blew. I blew up a VW turbo diesel that I had bought for 500 dollars. The previous owner neglected to mention that it burned up about a quart of oil a week.

#6 ·
As I recall, and this was about 25 years ago, he was a young energetic French Canadian who lived in the Laurentian mountains way north of Montreal. Owing to his long commute and the fact that he fancied himself an F1 driver in training, he would drive foot to the floor. As he explained to me, "those engines are designed to take it" or something to that effect :roll: I was rather impressed that it lasted so long myself!

As for my Diesel experience, I had two VW mechanics give me advice regarding the engine the day I blew it up. They both told me a Diesel was supposed to sound that way. :shock: (My previous experience with small engines was with Hondas that didn't burn more than half a quart of oil a year.)

I guess I was pointing out that not everyone cares for a car the way they should.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.