Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took apart and repaired my (2000 Insight) power window motor 9 months ago (details here).

Unfortunately the motor has stopped working again. Disassembling it I see the problem:

One of the commutator brushes is gone (the one on the right in the picture above). What remains is the hole the brush was in.

A new window regulator assembly from Majestic is $392.31 (arg!)

And now I know that buying a used window regulator only delays the inevitable. The brushes ultimately wear out.

So I'd like to explore 2 other options.

The first option is to buy similar brushes, then sand them to fit. 2 pairs of these (for a Dremel 3000 tool) only cost 8 bucks:

Cheap and less wasteful. But:
  • it would be labor intensive
  • I never done this before
  • I don't know the original dimensions of a brand-new, unused brush (so I'd be winging it)
The second option is to search for an identical part. Varak suggested in this thread: link

"According to this page, the motor is used in several other Honda models including 2002-2005 Civics."

So I did a picture comparison between my Insight and a 2002 Civic Window Regulator.

I added the red dots to the image below to show where the 3 mounting bolts go.

They look pretty similar, even down to the 4-wire connector. It's only $40 here

Has anyone tried any of these options?

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
^ I haven't tried either option, but I like your 'replace the brushes' idea - so I hope you try that first. Seems like 'any old' carbon brushes would work as long as you can get them to fit/stay in place and conform to the rotor shape...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a forgotten brand-new 1996 Honda Accord 4-door window regulator in my basement.

I took it apart to compare the brushes.

My remaining brush (left picture above) is definitely toast.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
^ That was fortunate. Can you swap those brushes into the Insight motor? They look similar from the images, the attachment aspect at least...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes EQ1 I also thought the brushes were quite similar.

The thin copper strip holding the brush is very flexible. I pushed it thru to the other side of the hole so I could put the brush loosely in a small vise.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then using a screwdriver I was able to apply pressure evenly to the surface of the brush, and push it thru the copper strip.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here's the brand-new brush out of the copper strip.

I took several pictures of the brush that may be of use later. Measurements in mm; the rightmost picture is a bottom view of the brush.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I firmly pushed the new brushes onto my Insight window regulator motor's copper strip using only my fingers.

I am very happy to report that this repair worked! My driver side window is again functional and I did not have to spend $392.31!

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Nice work! Thanks for doing this - and the great pics. I might have to open up my own motor...

·
Administrator
11,796 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Other repair ideas for the window regulator

1. I wish the commutator brush could be 3D printed.

Is there a suitable 3D printing material that conducts electricity? Or could graphite powder be added to 3D printing material?

2. The following were my plans for if I had bought the Honda Civic window regulator.

I think I would have found that the 3 mounting holes on the motor fit (I suspect they are the same on many Honda models). But the metal slider portion would be too long; or the metal brackets on it would be in the wrong place.

I would then:
  • unclip the 2 pulleys encircled below on each regulator (they slide off after depressing a piece that locks it in place)
  • get rid of the parts marked “X” ...

… and then marry the remaining pieces together.

I think that throughout the various Honda models of similar years, those 2 pulleys remain the same (copied even by the aftermarket manufacturers). I made this assumption after comparing them on the Accord window regulator.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts