Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we recently bought our 2001 Insight, one of the few things that was a "downside" was the number of very tiny stone chips that were on the bumper and the forward 30-50% of the hood (especially considering it had less that 30K miles on it). But, being largely cosmetic, that was not a deal breaker.

Now that it's in the driveway, I'm ready to minimize the problem (figuring that the day may come when it will be worth it to re-shoot the whole car -- at which time we'll also tend to a dent in the trailing edge of the passenger door -- but until then, it's just band-aids). I got the touch up paint in with the pen-applicator, which is great for tapping a little dot of paint when the dings are so small.

I came upon some info on the roadfly boards about how to repair stone chips and part of the procedure was to fill the ding (in multiple coats) with paint that would ultimately come up above the level of the paint surface around it. Then, using a block and some 3000 grit paper, you sand the "blobs" down flush with the paint...then polish, wax, etc.

Is there a clear coat on Insights (or on a 2001 Insight)? I've seen references here on this board to what dish soap will do to a clear coat...but so far I can't be sure there's on on this car. In any case, is the paint on the Insight up to this procudure? Has anyone tried anything like it? At this point, tiny spots of red stand out when you're looking at a reflection on the paint surface...but probably not as much as those light dots of primer. I just wonder if the building up of the paint and sanding it down really reduces their visibility.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The reason rock chips usually remain visible is because they can remove material down to the metal or plastic. The film build, primer base and clear, are a few mil's thick so getting it level is the best way to reduce the appearance of the chip. The touchup pens do work good too, I've used them.

That said, if you really want the car to look it's best finding a professional air brush toucher will make those chips look way better than any touch up bottle or pen will. You'd be amazed what a good one can do.

If you do it yourself, you shouldn't be able to cause too much damage with 3000 grit sand paper, but to properly remove the sand marks you'll probably need a proper buffer (which in untrained hands can cause damage to your paint) which will also assist on leveling out the surface.

Yes, your Insight is clear coated. For touchup though single stage works just as well. Also reguarding your dents, those paintless dent removers are practically miracle workers, just make sure you have one who knows how to work with alluminum.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rick said:
Also reguarding your dents, those paintless dent removers are practically miracle workers, just make sure you have one who knows how to work with alluminum.
I took it to two separate body shops, both of which had expertise in aluminum (and associations with good paintless dent removers)...and both had the same reaction and advice. The both looked at how the rear edge of the door had dented and noted how the paint had NOT cracked with the dent. But they both also said that there would be no way they could guarantee that the paint wouldn't crack in the process of taking the dent out. At that point, they both said you'd be shooting most of the side of the car (given the red color and the age of the paint) and in over $1,000. They both suggested that I just live with it until such time as it's worth it to me to paint the entire car and have the body work done then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts