Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left outboard CV boot is slinging grease, has been for a couple hundred miles at least.

I already have a boot replacement kit from Febest, but given that a replacement axle is pretty cheap ($56.79 at Rockauto for Surtrack/Trackmotive half shaft assembly) - is it worth it to try a boot replacement?

I've never done either type of job, which one is easier? Do I also need to be ready to replace the axle shaft seal or any other parts?

·
Registered
466 Posts
It is far easier and less messy to replace the whole axle. In this day and age of cheap axles and expensive labor nobody does cv boots anymore really. Besides, with the boot torn dirt and grit is already up in there and damage has been done.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My left outboard CV boot is slinging grease, has been for a couple hundred miles at least.

I already have a boot replacement kit from Febest, but given that a replacement axle is pretty cheap ($56.79 at Rockauto for Surtrack/Trackmotive half shaft assembly) - is it worth it to try a boot replacement?

I've never done either type of job, which one is easier? Do I also need to be ready to replace the axle shaft seal or any other parts?
hi bradleyb, have you replaced the cv joint boot ?
have you used the kit from febest ?
was this the one you mentioned ? https://febestparts.com/CV_JOINT_UNIVERSAL_BOOT/BT-UN

has anyone found a split boot replacement that can be installed without having
to remove the axle ? ... they used to be common back in the day ...

best

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
solartony:
Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You.
Willie

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi bradleyb, have you replaced the cv joint boot ?
have you used the kit from febest ?
was this the one you mentioned ? https://febestparts.com/CV_JOINT_UNIVERSAL_BOOT/BT-UN

has anyone found a split boot replacement that can be installed without having
to remove the axle ? ... they used to be common back in the day ...

best
I haven't. I'm planning to just replace the axle assembly, but have put it off for a while

1 - 6 of 6 Posts