Honda Insight Forum banner

Fix IMA battery before selling

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Looking to sell my 2006 MT Insight, but it has dead IMA battery pack and I'd been driving with the IMA bypass. I've priced it lower as a result, but wondering if this is hindering its sale to anyone other than Insight geeks. (I've been upfront about the futzy stuff one has to do to drive it, and its bad driving performance without IMA)

Should I just bite the bullet and order a rebuilt battery pack for $1000 and bump the asking price up a bit to compensate? Anyone else had this same dilemma?

Thanks,
-- Paul

·
Super Moderator
9,348 Posts
It's a real gamble. As an 06 MT, it kinda depends on the mileage and the otherwise condition of the car. If it has reasonable mileage and is in excellent shape, including paint, then you might about break even on the purchase and it would certainly help move the car.

Since your ad apparently not on IC, can you provide a ref link to your for sale as?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually the ad is only on Craigslist for now for Minneapolis MN area, was hoping to sell it locally to simplify things. See link below. I guess I could post it here as well. In short, 155,000 miles, passenger window doesn't work, a couple scrapes, good set of all-season and also winter tires, fancy 2-DIN head unit with Android/CarPlay support, $3000.

I also just realized that even with bypass, you can drive it like a normal car. I'd thought 12V battery wouldn't charge below 2500 rpm, and that it was bad to go over 4000 rpm, but I was apparently wrong on both counts. Looks like the main practical penalty of no IMA is sluggish low rpm torque.

2006 Honda Insight - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive...

·
Super Moderator
9,348 Posts
It is a pretty nice car. Can't really see much of roof so can't see fade if any. Got some nice accessories. You have a strike against you, being a northern car.

If those are stains on the seats, I'd spritz them with some Resolve and clean that.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
^ Yeah, I agree, it looks pretty decent. But, it also looks a little scuzzy, needs some detailing to bring out its true worth (mainly the engine bay, it looks filthy)... My initial hit is that $3000 is too high in its current state, looks more like $2300, but if you detailed it you might get closer to the $3k mark. If it had a working pack I'd call it a solid $3400 car...

So, rebuilt pack?? Not sure where you can get a decent one for $1000, not sure the math pans-out. I'd think if you detailed it you should be able to get $2500 - with a non-functional pack. Have you ever tried a grid charge on the pack? If you could get it to work with just a $30 DIY grid charger, detail it, I'd think you'd have a much better chance of getting closer to $3k... If you were Shady McCoy, you'd do these things, with special attention to the detailing, and then ask for $3900. You'd also avoid saying that you just revived the pack with a grid charger... Just getting the pack to work though and having prospective buyers able to drive the car in that state is probably worth good $$...

Personally, I'd do the grid charge thing and the detail thing, I wouldn't buy a replacement pack.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just realized I had some misconceptions about driving, so I’m going to leave the battery as is. Thought 12V wouldn’t change below 2500 rpm and that it was bad to go above 4000 rpm. Looks like i was wrong on both counts and it can be driven normally, it’ll just have crappy low-end torque and lower mpg in city driving. Is this correct?

Bumblebee does offer a rebuilt IMA pack for $1100 + shipping with exchange of old pack, not that I’m considering this any more. And thanks to all for the other advice.

There’s a couple responses on Craigslist to get back to, and i expect to be talked down on the price, which is ok.

—Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts