Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i've posted on here before, just recently about my engine judder while i had that ever familiar hesitation in the engine like it seems lots of you have had too.

So anyways, i take my car, which i have done at this lame dealership by my house, and tell them that this time i will not accept that there is nothing wrong with my car and demand that i drive the car with someone to show them what i feel, which is a fluctuation in rpm, like a hesitation, at higher speeds. This is something i can avoid having my car do at all if i don't push the engine, and it is also something i can happen everytime, if i do.

So I suggest the egr valve and they start going toward that direction, but low and behold they come back and say that they can't get any readings to really indicate that changing that would do anything. They keep my car for a couple days and play tag with Honda, who in turn tells them they feel that the only thing that will fix my problem is a brand new transmission: price tag, $5k.

SOOOO...now, what looked like a $300 dollar problem is a now nightmare. Luckily the car doesn't seem to be in kinda need of this new transmission. I can drive it without noticing my problem sometimes and think that the whole thing will go under.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this? I think I will maybe attempt to clean the egr valve myself just to see what happens. I asked them if they would help me out and try to do clean it, and they refused. I can't believe their only answer is to replace the whole thing!

I also tried to ask for the data that they got from my $100 dollar test, just so i could take it to somewhere else need be, and they told me they couldn't give it to me. I think i will call back and ask a manager for the data again. Least I think they can do.

any help or insight would be appreciated...5k is not in my budget at the moment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one has any advice?

well...i guess if the whole transmission died i would be in the same boat...so i might as well as wait for the to happen

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,924 Posts
Extensive advise has been given about your problem. If this is the first trans fluid change you have had in 90K I suggest you try another 0ne again. The transmission should be flushed. Not just changed.

The EGR valve cleaning is simple to do.
They won't replace anything without a CEL.
Don't know about Tenn. but here in Cal. you are entitled to all test results.............. ;)
Check and see if there is a BAR (State Bureau of Auto Repair). listed in your area.
HTH

Willie

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the bureau thing is good advice.

and yes my fluid was flushed. fixed my judder. so no more judder. i can and will probably attempt to clean the egr because i have nothing to lose.

its just discerning when you have a similar probelm linked to this egr valve and the dealership or shop comes back and tells you to replace the entire transmission.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
****update****

covered under warranty

A week later, after I was told to replace my entire transmission for my hesitation, my IMA light came on. I took it in to a new dealership (good riddance!) and they replaced the battery which was under warranty. To my surprise...a new battery fixed my problem with hesitation!

So I call the other dealership about to demand a refund for a misdiagnosis when they tell that a new service bulletin came out and that my transmission was covered under warranty and that they would replace it for free with a refund for the diagnosis. They would not give me a refund for the transmission fliud flush (kinda pointless if I replace the whole thing) which was done a month prior to fix the same problem. I am taking this up with Honda for reimbursement.

Anyways, I have my car back now. And maybe I am just paranoid...and I have no experience with breaking in a new transmission...and it feels pretty stiff....but this is were the paranoia kicks in...but my insight sounds louder to me. I figured a new transmission would quite her down,. And maybe its just late but the car drives and feels heavier to me. I am crazy? yes...no? Any words on a new transmission in a 2001 with 90k?

~jay

·
Registered
274 Posts
I received a warranty extension notice from Honda a couple weeks ago regarding potential transmission "judder and hesitation" on Insight and Civics with CVT transmissions. I plan on scheduling an appointment with the dealer to have mine looked at as I have been experiencing these symptoms in my Insight. Glad to hear it was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Extensive advise has been given about your problem. If this is the first trans fluid change you have had in 90K I suggest you try another 0ne again. The transmission should be flushed. Not just changed.

Willie
Do you know what tools or gadgets would be neccessary to do a transmission flush? Also is there a big difference between the Honda fluid and the regular 10W30 SG? That is the one thing I always liked about Hondas, 10W30 oil for the transmission! (sure beats the $16/quart oil for my hyundai accent, 20 quarts of that would be more valuable than the car).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts