Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having gotten no 12 volt battery when I bought my car, I had to guess if this is like oem. From what I have followed on the forum I think it is almost exact.
White translucent case with black top similar to motorcycle batteries I have had in Japan.

Made by GS Japan Storage Battery Co Ltd

GS battery number:

36B20R(S)

also called : NS 40 Z(S)

12 V 35AH (20HR)

In stock at

ABS
Advanced Battery Systems LLC
1300 19th St Suite170
East Moline, IL 61244

Talk to Ken Klein
@1-800-ABS-7090

gave me same day shipping

battery was $59.95 and shipping was $8.69
I got mine next day.

If the 800 # does not work I know 1-309-755-7775 is good

·
Registered
340 Posts
I recently bought a 2000, and it appears that the battery is original. Do you know if this battery is the same or close to the same size?
I was wondering if I should go ahead and change it or if I should wait until this one finally goes.
Thanks,
Robert

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I would replace it if it can prevent having to pay for help (towing, boost,..)

Because at the end, you will still have to pay to replace it.

Thing like that always happen at a bad time (in a hurry for an apointment, ...)

·
Registered
71 Posts
battery replacement

just got mine installed; ordered from above place in Illinois; great service; price 52 and some change plus shipping. Honda of Mesa wanted 92 and some change cash and carry not installed.

Fits perfectly; they ship dry soes ya gotta fill and charge; gas mileage seems to have improved some. Old battery 4 years old so changed to prepare for hot weather here in Phoenix which is very hard on Batts.

Thanks for the tip; this is what this forum is all about (^_^).

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
BillClark,
The battery comes dry, right? How do you get it charged up? Do you "just add water" or is there some other chemical (acid) that needs to be added first?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery shipped dry must be filled with "electrolyte" also known as "battery acid". This can be done by just about any place that sells lead acid batteries. They will probably do it for you for a "nominal" fee.
My battery place charged me $2. They may also give it a top off charge for you.
The battery should next be charged for a short time, but I have installed mine and then just drive it normally as long as it is not short trips.
Instructions are with the battery if I remember correctly.
Rich

·
Registered
71 Posts
battery replacement

yes, rsalmon is very correct; I found a place that sells batteries and they filled it for 0.00, zippo, zilch; then I gave em a 5 dollar tip. took it back to my mechanic and he installed and charged it for about 20 minutes. Theory to this is to not ask the alternator to overwork and possibly burn out************according to the mechanic***********. Not my words.

Just got back from a trip to Sonoita, AZ and am happy with 47.5 mpg, on CVT, wife and luggage were along for the ride. 'Course keeping up with traffic on I-10 you MUST go at least 85mph. Ran A/C a little until got out of Tucson. Love that little beastie. And going fast is an EXCELlent way to travel. (^_^).

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I still have the two original stock batteries in Jane and Edwin (both 2001) and both have the little red circle showing up even though I topped them off (some chambers were really low, others were a little low, all were low to some extent) with distilled water.

Does this mean that I am dancing on eggshells?

Should I preemptively replace them?

I have never had a problem with them starting the cars up, but the silly little red cirlcles in the battery indicator thingy aren't going away!

I thought batteries should last longer than 4 years, but maybe not?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Figgy,
My 2000 battery seemed to be ok, but the general consensus seemed to be to replace it before it went dead. I would hate to be stuck when I had something important at work and the car won't start, so I replaced mine a few weeks ago as a preventive measure. Usually OEM batteries don't last this long, but since we don't use it for starting they hold up pretty well.
A long time ago, a buddy of mine (IBM engineer) said he never put water in the battery, but always added electrolyte and his batteries lasted way longer than they were supposed to.
my 2 cents,
robert

·
Registered
71 Posts
battery replacement

I did a pre-emptive replacement as the very hot weather here in PHX is death to batteries. My red reminder on the batt. also would not go away even if I filled batt with water.

I did it more for peace of mind. Batt on conventional cars here last about 2 to 3 years. On my other cars, I bought cheap batt at Sams Club with warranty and just had another go kaput. They replaced it under warranty at no charge. New batt warranty now is good for 2 years instead of 3 years. :D

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Lead acid cells don't like to be float charged, constantly topped off or "held" in a narrow range of charge. A modest discharge on a regular basis will extend their life (statistically, all other things being equal).

It is a shortcoming of the Insight in not properly exercising the 12v battery to obtain maximum life. You an more that double its life (statistically, YMMV) with a monthly 30 min headlights on / engine off workout. You must also monitor the final voltage of this workout and never let it fall below 11.0v. Over exercising a battery near the end of its service life will then cause it to fail sooner (but you will have otherwise already extended its life).

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Trekker,

You might be right about the battery life, I have a 1999 Civic SI and it still has the original battery, I've also been thinking that the Insight does not let the battery discharge as much as other non-hybrid cars, and that is the reason they don't last as long, I replaced mine not because it would not start the car, but because I would get a lot of Recals, about twice a week.

Since the time the battery was replaced I don't remember tha last time I got a recal, I'm thinking about replacing the battery on my Civic with the one on the Insight, (about 6 months old) and since the 2 cars use the same battery, just swap them every 6 months, this way they both might last a little longer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
battery replacement

great idea, Calpod; my propane generator batt was low so I had nothing to start it with. The old, original Insight Batt. is about the same size so I tried it today and the Genset started right up with the Insight batt. which had not been in the Insight for over a month and just sitting out. I will switch batts. as you suggested but with the Genset.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Calpod said:
Trekker,
<snip>

I replaced mine not because it would not start the car, but because I would get a lot of Recals, about twice a week.

<snip>
Removal of the 12v source does a reset (IMA/MCM reset or simply reset), which is a manual version of an IMA recalibrate or recal. I doubt there is any other "interaction" that is renewing the IMA pack. But extending the 12v battery life by swapping it is good in concept. :)

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
The service manual says if you don't have any fancy battery testers or handy 300 amp loads that last for 15 seconds, you should stick it on a 40 amp charger and pray that it charges up within three hours and then charge it 30 minutes more after the 'EYE' changes.

I attempted that using a 40 amp charger which started with a tiny bit of 10 amp charging and then settled at about 5 amps. I had the battery complete removed (it says never never never charge the battery with the car electrical connected). I had previously topped off the many very low chambers with distilled water which made the 'EYE" go from 'add water' to 'charging necessary'. However, even after three hours of charging, the 'EYE" still says it needs charging. Honda says that means it ain't no good no more.

However, it did charge as evidenced by the bubbling gas and slightly overflowing cells (a little bit of overflow with bubling of the gas out of it). This is a good reason why you should take it out for this charging. It had a V reading of 12.85 about a minute after I stopped charging. Overnight it droped to 12.50 V. It seems to work fine.

Hmmm... I guess maybe it is time. On the other hand, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Don't beat a dead horse, and all that.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Figgy, bubles and fluid leaking is not a good sign. It sounds more like electrolysis of water generating hydrogen than normal charging behaviour. Sorry if I'm the bearer of bad news, but I don't want to see you stuck. Better have it tested, or at least see what the voltage drop is with the engine off, the lights on and the fan running.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I will check voltage with some loads.

I think it is croaking or on the way to croaking, as a bunch of chambers were quite low before I filled them (I got it as a 2001). It did start the car when the IMA was temporaily off after the 12V had been out, so at least it can do that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts