Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I know this has been covered before, but I wanted to update the info on speaker selections.

My '05 Insight still has the same lousy speakers that everyone has suffered with. Now they put four of these cheap speakers in the car.

I used the fader to disable the rears, it helped some. But the speakers were still the problem.

Went to Crutchfield and ordered a pair of Infinity Reference 6002si 6-1/2" Shallow 2-way Speakers. Came in within a week.

The installation went smooth, popped out the old speakers... those skinny lightweight excuses for speakers. The new speakers required just a slight trim on the very bottom of the plastic door panel so the wire terminal would fit into the well.
The stock speaker grill fit without any trimming, it just popped on.

The improvement in sound quality is amazing, much clearer and sharp.

My hearing isn't what it used to be, but this is a major step up in my opinion. I would highly recommend this modification.

Regards,

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks Hawk,

I've been looking for replacements but everything everyone has mentioned seems to be no longer in production. I'll give these a shot.

Any ideas on head unit? Crutchfield says that all the DIN head units require a little modification for them to fit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Crutchfield Says this... but its a lie!

You yank the old one out... unscrew the mounting brackets, and remount them to the new head unit... piece of cake!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does anyone know the speaker dimensions of the front AND rear speakers? I want to order new ones, but can't find the dimensions anywhere. I know they are 6.5 inch speakers, but what about the depth?

Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I turned the rear speakers off using the fader... it sounds better to me.

I would suspect they are the same speakers that are used in the doors, but I'm guessing.

Regards,

·
Registered
408 Posts
foxfire235 said:
Does anyone know the speaker dimensions of the front AND rear speakers? I want to order new ones, but can't find the dimensions anywhere. I know they are 6.5 inch speakers, but what about the depth?

Thanks!
I'm not sure but I can tell you this: Infinity Kappa 3-ways don't fit unless you go without the grills and cut the speaker opening bigger (or making a spacer to push it out more). Alpine 2 ways will fit if you trim the inside of the grills to fit the tweeter (don't go all the way through, just shave the plastic inside out). The Aplines will also fit without any modifications in the rear with their own grills.

So basically, anything with a depth less than the Alpine base model 2 ways should fit in the door without major modification.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just picked up a pair of the infinity reference 6002si "shallow mount" speakers.

They fit without much issue at all. No cutting needed & the factory grills fit too.

I realize they aren't Kappa level speakers, but they still sound damn good & will suffice until I can add a sub of some sort.

·
Registered
27 Posts
6002si don't fit doors in my 2001 Insight...

Bjaardker,

What model year Insight do you have? I just tried the 6002si in my 2001, and they won't fit in the front -- magnet is slightly too large, speaker sticks out, grill won't fit. They work nicely in the rear, however.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Replacement speakers: Kenwood KFC-1669S

Crutchfield listed the Pioneer TS-G1640R and Kenwood KFC-1669S speakers as drop-in replacements for the 2000 Insight, with no modifications necessary. Both are US$50/pair.

I listened to both at the local Good Guys (electronic retailers) and chose the Kenwoods for their more even response. I put a set in my Insight a week ago, replacing the stock speakers, and it's like night & day: maybe the very lowest bass notes still aren't there, but I no longer listen to familiar music and wonder where half the instruments disappeared to! On a scale of 0 - 10, where 0 was a friend's old Datsun truck radio with nothing below 800 Hz and 10 is my reference setup at home, the stock Insight speakers were around 2 or 3, and the Kenwoods are on the high side of 8. They did NOT sound this good in the store; I'm really surprised at how clean and balanced the audio is. They're also much more efficient; I'm turning the volume up maybe 75% as much for the same SPL as with the old speakers.

With the aid of a jeweler's screwdriver I opened up the Honda speaker connectors and extracted the bare terminals. With a light crimping they fit firmly onto the lugs of the replacements speakers; no adapter kits needed. All in all, about 20 minutes from opening the box to listening to good sound.

·
Registered
75 Posts
jbrasure said:
Has anyone tried the Infinity Reference 6012si speakers? If so, were they easy to install?
J,
If you do end up putting one of the AVICs in your car, I don't think you'll need to change the speakers. I was planning on replacing my speakers when they did the install of the NAV system and the guy told me to wait and see how the new unit sounded with the old speakers first -- to my utter disbelief he was right and I'm not going to replace the speakers anymore.

At the least, you might want to wait and see what the stock speakers sound like to you with the new headunit before you spend the money on the speakers (the speakers can always be changed after if you still want to do so.) :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good point Gator. I think I'll wait until I upgrade the head unit.

By the way, I finally decided not to get the AVIC head unit. I sure love the features of it, but I'm just too concerned about the lack of knee room. Oh well. I decided to get a Kenwood stereo, and a Garmin Streetpilot for navigation. It won't be nearly as cool as the AVIC, but it'll give me plenty of room.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Point A to B

You'll dig the Garmin, if it's your first experience with a GPS unit. Accuracy to a few feet, but still sometimes the map and your position 'cursor' won't seem to line up with the map, at least with the old Garmin III that I use in my Jeep Cherokee when we're going camper trailering. Now in the Insight, I've got a Magellan Raodmate 300. http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/ ... RODID=1038

Not the top o' the line but get's me there real fine. New off eBay for way less than retail. 8)
Also use a Magellan eXplorist 200 for cross country hikeing and 'geocaching' , a hi-tech treasure hunt thing. :wink:
http://www.geocaching.com/

Hi tech traveling all the way! (pack plenty o' batteries :roll: )

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey Folks,

I just installed the Infinity Reference 6012si speakers in my 2005 Insight. They fit perfectly without any drilling or cutting. They sound pretty good to, although I still need to get a sub for bass.

The installation was very easy. It took about 2 hours, mainly because I had never done anything like this before. I was being slow and careful. I bet I could do it again in 30 minutes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts