Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for this great forum, i was hoping for help with a question;

I bought a 2011 insight, probably similar to the ex model in the US. alloy wheel, AC, keyless entry and start, internavi, reverse camera.

It only came with one key fob with the key slotted into it. I would like to have a second key, i can get one cut for about 80 euro but when i took the key i have out of the fob, it opens the door but does not start the car.

With the keyless start there is a knob on the ignition. I had driven a honda fit that looked like this knob had been removed. There is no obvious way to remove this knob and i don't want to break it, but i don't want to spend 80 euro on a key that will do nothing other than open the door.

When I try and turn the knob with just the key in the car it simply doesn't move, feels like it locked.

Anybody know how to take this off, or how to otherwise start the car with just the key and not the fob?

Thanks

Alan

Dublin/Ireland

·
Registered
210 Posts

The key blade in the keyless fob is used only for opening the doors.
To start the car, it is necessary that the electronic key mark (in fob) was next to the receiver (located inside the panel).
To use another keyless fob is not enough to take a copy of it, you need to write all the new keyless fobs in the control unit computer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it out. I have the key like the bottom one in the pic above. I figured out how to remove the keyless knob from the idnitionand then the key slots into the ignition and the car starts without the fob anywhere near the car. So all i need to do now is get a copy of that key cut and programmed the immobiliser.

The knob comes off in two parts, the section that says 'please turn' comes off by pressing the short end and levering towards the door. Then the second part comes off by using the key to lever at the bottom.

Just wanted to come back and let people know that it will work.

Take care.

Alan.
Ireland/Dublin

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi bud,can get an ordinary ignition key coded etc for around E90,I did in Blackpool SC cork,but are also in Dublin,to get the final etc is a few hundred EUR madness

1 - 4 of 4 Posts