Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate any help in removing the actuator for the rear hatch.

The Hatch only opens with the Key. When pushing the "rubber button" on the hatch a whirring sound is heard - that's it. So it works electrically, but not mechanically.

I tried to take it out tonight, pulled out the trunk liner, removed the garnish above it and the three screws that hold it in place.

I can not figure out how to get it out. The part number is 209918.

I'm hoping that removing the bumper is not part of the fix.
Thanks
Wayne :?

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess what - you found a post with my car #2413- how ironic is that! I'm the new owner and it looks like the fellow that had it before me tried, but was not able to figure it out. I still can not figure out how to do this. Honda wants a Kings ransom to fix it, but the part is only about 45.00.

I have pulled out the tub, the clips, the plastic bezel and the three screws that hold it (and the mechanical latch in place). I've removed a rectangular piece of rubber near it to expose an opening about 1.5" x 3" and the unit is just to big to pass through. I am trying to do this from the top, looking down. I have not disconnected the cable from the unit. I don't want it to fall in to a place where I can not retrieve it.

Any help would be appreciated. It would be great to be able to fix this...

thanks

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
It's kind of difficult to explain it, but there are two pieces to it. One is the motor and the other is the actual part that pops the latch open, they both have to come out together. I had this happen to an Insight I had, I took the actuator apart to see the weak point. Again kind of hard to explain, but there's a little wheel that turns to wind up some tension and release it to pop the hatch mechanism, it's a tiny little piece of plastic and just doesn't hold up. Unfortunately the only way to get it is the actuator.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If I can waddle out to my Insight tomarrow (kinda sorta broke My heel bone in 3 pieces and in a cast) I will get some digital pics of the access hole and how to weasel the actuator out of it. I didnt find it difficult at all, but I have been a professional mechanic for dahmm near 40 years now .

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Figured it out tonight. Not bad once you start looking in the right place :!:

What I was doing wrong was removing the three screws that hold the mechanical latch in place, right under the grey plastic bezel - I thought the whole unit was attached to that. If that were broken the Actuator would come out first and drop down - not get pulled up to the right (facing the rear) through the smaller access area.

Having said all that the part is on order - If anyone wants me to shoot pictures of the process once I replace it just let me know.

thanks
Wayne

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hatch Will Not Unlock; Need to Replace Actuator

My actuator gave out and my hatch won't open at all anymore, no matter what I do. I have the replacement part, but am I going to be able to replace this from inside the car with the hatch locked??? How can I get this sucker open? I've tried the key and the 'timing' game and nothing is working.

·
7,200 Posts
Are you sure you're turning the key all the way?

·
New to the party
155 Posts
Ok here is how I would release the hatch from the inside.

1) climb over the seat and lay on the rear carpet
2) pull up the velco'ed down carpet piece on the passenger side of the storage bin
3) pull up the plastic button rivit that is holding the rear wall carpet to the floor (you just pry it up, it isn't a screw)
4) pull up the bottom of the rear wall carpet to expose the black rubber rectangle
5) peal down the rubber rectangle, if you do it slow it shouldn't rip
6) push the white plastic arm (that has a metal rod attached) toward the center of the car while pushing up on hatch

I have included a picture of the plastic arm you are after

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
You guys rock!

This morning the hatch activator quit working on my 2000 Insight. Just the whirring sound. Time to replace the actuator. I can live with that. 11 years old and 117,000 miles. It happens. Insult to injury...the key lock is too corroded to turn. Can't work on the actuator if I can't open the hatch! I'm screwed. AHHHH!

So, I log on InsightCentral and here is the answer to "How to open the hatch without the activator or a key." A recent update to an acnient thread.

Sweet. This information is priceless. Thanks. I'll be crawling inside the hatch tonight and keep you posted on how it comes out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have gen 1 2000 Insight that had "just the whirring sound". Yup. You push the release button, get the whirring sound and the hatch doesn't open. You need the new actuator. (A working actuator goes "clunk" and opens the hatch, it doesn't whir.)

It's actually pretty easy to replace. The hardest part was pulling the plastic trim piece off the tailgate lock assembly. Be careful doing this. Grab it from one end and pull up gently but insistently. I grabbed mine in the middle, near the lock hole, and it broke. The actuator sits below the lock assembly, but you can get to it if you drop the carpet.

You'll have to remove the lock bolts too, and let the lock assembly drop. This will let you see where the rod on the lock inserts into the actuator. There's a second long rod on the actuator that crosses across to the manual lock. There's a couple of foam covered inspection holes under the carpet that let you see and manipulate the rod so you can put it where it goes into the lock. Just carefully peel the foam back, do your work, and cement the foam back.

Shop around for parts. My local dealer (Sam Linder in Salinas, CA) is often not competitive. College Honda and Majestic Honda both have good web sites and good prices. These are both actual Honda dealers whose parts departments do the internet thing well. It sometimes takes a week or two to get parts from dealers, because they have to order the parts, then box them up and ship them to you. They ship you actual OEM Honda parts in OEM packaging. I got my actuator from Majestic.

·
Linsight Designer
1,946 Posts
I have gen 1 2000 Insight that had "just the whirring sound". Yup. You push the release button, get the whirring sound and the hatch doesn't open. You need the new actuator. (A working actuator goes "clunk" and opens the hatch, it doesn't whir.)
I'll send anyone interested a replacement part for $10, shipped. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Replacement part

I fixed this problem, whirring-no opening, for a neighbor who also has an Insight. I got the part from someone who had made them on a 3-D printer--I think I paid about $1 for each one (I got one for myself in case of future need). I found the info about the part and fixing directions on the forum--might be worth doing some more searching.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts