Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my starter battery on my 2002 Insight. I've looked through the instruction manual and found nothing about what the specs are for the starter battery. Anyone know what I should tell my mechanic to order?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would just find the biggest, most powerful battery, that will fit in the space provided, that has the same battery post orientation.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
If you have a habit of leaving your lights on, or pack a monster stereo setup, you probably want a big battery. However, there are three reasons why you might not want the biggest and most powerful battery:

First, it may weigh more.

Second, the battery may cost more.

Third, the battery may discharge at a higher rate due to larger plate area.

My first concearn would be to get a high quality battery. I have a couple of old Panasonics in the shop that just refuse to die. I have no idea where they can be purchased, but they indicate to me that there is a difference in battery quality. I'm still using my 4 year old original Furukawa (or whatever it's called). The 12 volt battery only starts the car in extreme cold. (Having synthetic oil in the engine helps it crank over on these occasions)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My stereo's nothing out of the ordinary, I don't leave my lights on, and I use my car about once a week at most; a super-powerful battery isn't really going to boost my performance much.

My mechanic's battery book only lists Insights from '04 onward, so he's not sure what sort of battery they take. If I call and say "get me a good battery and we'll see if it fits", then I'll have trial-and-error battery fitting. Is there a way to tell him what size battery to order?

Quite honestly, I don't know how starter batteries are classified or sized, so I'm not sure what language to use.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Oh, I see......

All years of Insight have the same battery holder, so if it fits an 04 it will fit all the other years. Although the original battery is smaller than a typical Honda battery, the Insight battery area has been sized to allow for a larger conventional sized battery.

Bottom line.....if it fits and the cables reach without trouble, you're golden. :D

As John suggested, if you want to get adventuresome and learn about others ideas and experiences, there's the search feature. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh, thanks! Very helpful. That's exactly what I needed.

And yes -- I tried the search first off, but with hundreds of results that often just used the word "battery" at some point (usually referring to the IMA battery pack, not the starter battery), it seemed a good time to try the more direct method ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts