Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone making a replacement tire for the insight other than the Bridgestone Potenza? Am ready to replace tires again on 2000 Insight with 91,000 miles on it.

donut lady

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If you drive in snow and ice conditions even only 10 days per winter, invest in winter tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tire replacement

This car goes to Florida in winter so I don't need snow treads. I guess I'll stick with the Potenza's. This is the third set since the originals and have always used them. Just thought I could get the price down a little.
Donut Lady

·
Registered
237 Posts
Re: tire replacement

donut lady said:
This is the third set since the originals
Donut Lady
Third set?!? :shock: How many miles do you have on your Insight?!? Everyone here that I have seen is getting around 60K to 70K per set of Bridgestone tires. That would mean that you should have at least around 240K miles on your Insight.

Or maybe you have been at the track alot, doing HOT laps. 8)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I replaced mine at 27K, I do a good amount of city driving and am not afraid to take a corner quickly. There was still tread left to the wear indicators, but they were just done from being weather beaten. New rubber feels so much nicer.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

commuter said:
Everyone here that I have seen is getting around 60K to 70K per set of Bridgestone tires.
Not true, I only got around 14,000 miles on my OEM tires, thanks to sidewall cracking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 91k on this car. I thought it seemed excessive for tire replacement too, but the Bridgestone says thats about average??
donut lady

·
Registered
569 Posts

donut lady said:
This car goes to Florida in winter so I don't need snow treads. I guess I'll stick with the Potenza's. This is the third set since the originals and have always used them. Just thought I could get the price down a little.
Donut Lady
Costco seems to have the most reasonable prices, and sometimes they are on sale.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I am changing my five year old rear Bridgestones at around 40,000 miles; still a reasonable amount of tread but they are looking tired (I think there is a pun there!).

I had difficulty finding the OEM Bridgstone RE92 in the UK, so I have gone for the low rolling resistance (perhaps not as much as the RE92) Bridgestone B330 EVO.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Need authorization from the dealer??

Hi, I've been looking into new tires for my 2001 Insight (has about 45K miles now with the original tires) and I want to get wider tires (185/65 R14, versus the original 165/65 R14) because of the skating... I'm ok with staying with the Bridgestone Potenzas, for the low rolling resistance...

I just got off the phone with Costco... they said they would need a letter on a dealership's letterhead indicating that it's ok for me to put the larger tires on the car! I'm sure this has something to do with our increasingly litigious society... has anyone else had this problem? I'll bet the dealership will be reluctant to provide such a letter... guess I'll have to call and find out (maybe just have the dealership install them?).

This is my first post... I've been a reader of this forum since I bought the car (used) in 2003... I appreciate all the helpful information on here... finally thought I'd come out of the closet and become a member! :D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
What do you mean by "skating" exactly?

Also note that the RE-92 line in general isn't a particularly low rolling resistance tire, the one for the Insight (165-65R14) is special.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Re: Need authorization from the dealer??

flymuck said:
I just got off the phone with Costco... they said they would need a letter on a dealership's letterhead indicating that it's ok for me to put the larger tires on the car!
Go to another Costco, or return at a different shift when different employees are working there. Or buy from a real tire store....

I would not recommend RE92 tires unless you want the stay with the original tire size that came with your car for maximum fuel efficiency.
If you are buying 185/60R14 tires (they do fit perfectly) then buy a better tire then the Bridgstone RE92 because there won't be difference in mileage.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I took the Bridgestones off after one particularly hairy late-night drive home in a heavy rain. Replaced them with Continental CH95 in 185/60/14 that, as Guillermo says, fit perfectly. Terrific upgrade in terms of comfort and quiet, and better grip and wet weather stability. They will probably be better in the snow, at least to the extent that I plan to drive in it. - Pat

·
Registered
240 Posts
Skating, tires, and what-not

Hi folks, thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.

So, let's see... good to know that in general the RE92 is not a low rolling resistance tire, so I'll bag that idea... I'm just looking for an all-season tire that is slightly larger (and someone to install them!).

I called the dealership yesterday and got the same line as everywhere else -- they won't put different size tires on there because Honda doesn't "recommend" it. Whatever. What does Honda know anyway? :D They're all just too chicken. Our litigious society... *heavy sigh*

In answer to the question about "skating" -- this is what I call what the car does when you're driving in a lane that has rough patches or long grooves, and the car wants to follow the groove instead of staying the course. I have to fight with it to keep it straight -- and the funny thing is, we know that you can't see anything from behind (the car doesn't appear to be jerked around), but when you're driving it, it feels significant. Because of this, and because of the small tires and overall smallness of the car, I call it my "rollerskate". I love the car, but it definitely needs different tires!

Thanks again for all the recommendations... I'll check with my local "real tire stores" for some good all-season 185/60 R-14s... :)

-fly

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Ok, what you're calling "skating" is also called "tramlining" because that's what happens when you drive over street car ("tram") tracks. The Insight is bad in this area for two reasons, partly because of the tires and partly because of the steering geometry.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: Skating, tires, and what-not

flymuck said:
Hi folks, thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.

So, let's see... good to know that in general the RE92 is not a low rolling resistance tire, so I'll bag that idea... I'm just looking for an all-season tire that is slightly larger (and someone to install them!).

<snip>
Probably a simple typo here but except for some european tyres <g> the Bridgestone RE92 OEM's are the lowest rolling resistance available on this side of the pond (AFAIK).

Expect 12+% loss of the hyper MPG range with other tires:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=2738

You can achieve better handling at an MPG sacrifice, Its simply your choice. The "skating" you describe it called tracking. Typically heavy trucks cause what is also commonly referred to as "wagon ruts" in the pavement. The Insight gets caught in these grooves. Better tires will help, but you'll still feel it to some degree.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Skating... tramlining... tracking... I still think skating sounds more fun. :wink:

Thanks again for the replies... my comment about the RE92s was in response to someone else's post on this subject -- that getting a larger size RE92 would not offer the same low rolling resistance as the OEMs (original size). Hope this clarifies my response.

I'm getting some Bridgestone G009s today, 185/60 R14. Thanks for everyone's help... I'll post back how it feels when it's all said and done.

You guys rock!! :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
OK, got the tires installed, just thought I'd post a quick note about the experience...

Went to Big O Tires in Santa Monica, got the Bridgestone G009 185/60 R14 tires. Balancing was easy, alignment was not -- the mechanic couldn't get the nuts loosened on the driver's side to adjust the toe. What's worse, they couldn't find a way to do it from underneath (maybe it's not possible?) so they were doing it via under the hood, which was making me *very* nervous... because of the lack of room to work in there, at one point they were even trying to take out the battery bracket to get it out of the way (no! you don't know what you're doing!), but they had to abandon that project (it apparently wouldn't move out of the way when they removed three bolts).

They sprayed some liquid wrench-type stuff on the nuts and told me to come back in the morning. I was very reluctant to go back -- my better half didn't want me to go back at all, not even for a refund on the alignment, for fear they'd damage the car in some way. But I went back, the grease had done its magic, and the alignment went smoothly thereafter. All is well with the world.

I'm still trying to decide how I feel about the tires. They seem to track/skate less than the OEMs on large grooves that affect only one side of the car, but more so on fully grooved roads (not sure how to explain this well... some of the freeways here are rough all the way across the lane).

Anyway, I'll break them in a bit and report back. BTW, I can't imagine fitting a wider tire on this car -- I was worried that the skirts were going to be too close, but it's ok... but not by much!

Thanks for all the help!
-fly

1 - 20 of 26 Posts