Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the original owner a 2000 Insight with 160,000 miles. Starting last summer I sadly watched it deteriorate - she started doing the regen and herky-jerky as discussed in these forums. Then one day in early February, out on the highway with my mechanic in the passenger seat, we stopped for a break and then it would not start. We jump started her, but the dashboard wouldn't light up... Drove a few blocks to the local auto parts store and worked on it in the parking lot... Diagnosis - The 12 volt battery under the hood was only delivering 9 volts. We replaced it - and it was like night and day! I got my car back!

In a conventional car, the 12 volt needs a lot of cranking power to start the car, so you notice when it gets weak. With our cars, the 12-volt is not so vital, and you don't give it much thought. Mine was 7 years old. If I remember correctly, I replaced it 7 years ago because the guys at the Honda shop ran some diagnostics and told me it needed to be replaced, before it was causing any problems (well maybe the radio was acting up a bit.) I even remember hearing a rumor that the 12-volt is not even needed, but now I know that is not true.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
272 Posts
A thorough knowledgeable treatise on the importance and behavior of the 12V battery in the system would seem to be in order.

Maybe someone will step forward.

See my post on 'Running with the IMA on' that tried to ask some questions in the context of using a power outlet 12V voltmeter gauge. I kind of wonder if the 12V battery provides some kind of stability to the 12V circuits that the DC-DC converter can't do alone. Maybe some type of power fluctuation occurs to some of the electronic boxes (ECM, BCM, MCM, IPCT, whatever) when the 12V can't hold charge. Anyway, a good layman explanation of what happens would really help. I might try to run a test of starting our HCH1 and then disconnecting the 12V, see if anything happens and if not drive around with it disconnected to see if there is any effect at speed. Hopefully, it doesn't cause something bad to happen. Is it possible you battery was getting so bad it had a cell dead shorted and that was causing the problem? You were at 9V.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello, I was just about to post this information about my also discovery of the same thing (But did a search first to see if it had been covered).

A few days ago my car was running very jerky in that flat spot between 2000 and 3000 and couldn't seem to calm down. I have done most of the recommended fixes on this forum for this issue and they all seem to work for a time but then the car settles back into that same herky jerky situation.

Last year I kind of discovered this solution with my wifes HCHII. The 12 volt battery was bad and after replacing it the mpg definitely went back to it's youthful status. I even tried to speak about this to Honda regarding the law suits and the decreased mpg situation they were being taken to court over. Sadly they had no interest... Shortly afterwards the IMA battery went and was replaced under warranty and the 12 volt battery kind of was forgotten.

Anyway, my Insight was doing the jerky thing and I sat in the car for about half an hour with the radio on and it wouldn't start. I did manage to push start it and it ran like crap with no dash lights etc. I tried to set with it running for awhile hoping it would charge up some to no avail. I was stuck in a parking lot of a hardware store.

I went inside and asked the employees if anyone could give me a jump start. The guy had an Impala and it started right up, we let it sit awhile and charge up and it ran like a charm. I got home easily and noticed right away that the jerking was gone.

I sat it all weekend with a float charger on the 12 volt and today drove it again for the first time since. It was very smooth, even in the 2000-3000 flat zone. The acceleration was flawless.

Then tonight I was out driving again. Now I had the headlights on and there was a larger amperage draw. I noticed it was starting to not be so smooth anymore. As an experiment I turned out the headlights leaving only the markers on and it smoothed right out. Headlights on? It started to run a bit rough.

Obviously the battery is going. But I have to agree and believe that if this isn't the sole cause of the Herky Jerky it has a heluva lot to do with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts