Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 MT has around 97K on it and recently the CEL came on. I have a OBDII reader, and it is the P1164 code. I have reset it, but it comes back on. In an earlier thread, I was told that around 100K, the 02 sensor should be replaced and I am wondering if this is something I can do myself or if a trip to a dealer is necessary? I should say that I haven't noticed any performance issues and the light came on right after I filled the gas tank.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
There's no "magic" mileage that indicates when an O2 sensor should be replaced.

DIY, depends. In high salt areas rust may be a problem. If the sensor breaks or strips threads a professional has a few tricks and tools that _may_ prevent needed additional parts.

Delaying replacing a "bad" O2 sensor (whether it "codes" or not) can, and ultimately _will_ have consequences for the CATalytic converter. Permanant CAT damage is a real possibility.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
FYI if you chose to replace it yourself make sure that the manfold and sensor are fully warmed up, as attempting to remove a O2 sensor cold will result in a mess you dont even want. What will happen is the threads will more than likely strip out or you will break old sensor in manifold. Also any technician worth their tools will have the special socket for proper removal of sensor.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
megsabelle said:
I haven't noticed any performance issues
The car will run in "open loop" mode when the light is on. This means gas/fuel ratio is not controlled by the O2 sensor, but just by rule-of thumb. Also, there is no lean-burn in this case.

When my car was having the same issue, the absence of lean-burn was a _major_ problem!

That said, replacing it is easy, if as Insightfull Trekker pointed out, the threads are not too corroded.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Heating up the car before removing the sensor isn't the best idea. The sensor is made of 304 stainless, while the cat is made from 403 (or something close to it). The sensor will expand more then the cat and make removal more difficult.

Because of the stainless, neither thread should really be corroded but they could be stuck. Start off with a good penetrating oil a few days in advance (PB Blaster).

If you are confident, cut the wire off the old sensor before you remove it. This will allow you to use a standard socket instead of the more flexible and weak O2 sensor socket. Now you can put a honking-big breaker bar on there to get it loose, or use an impact wrench. If you have big hands then a set of crows foot sockets will make things easier.

When you reinstall, make sure to put anti-seize on the threads but keep it off the senor itself. I always use silver anti-seize but really you should use copper for a high temp area. The sensor is fairly tall so it may not fit a standard O2 socket without stressing the wire. This is when the big open ended wrench or crows foot comes in handy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When mine went bad I just used a big crescent wrench to take out the old one and put the new one in. I was surprised at how easily it came out after over 150,000 Kms. The engine was still warm when I did it.

Good luck,
Bill

·
Registered
23 Posts
I changed mine at 75,00km took only 1/2 an hour. I bought NTK 02 sensor from Napa auto parts. there is no OEM for the insight.but the older Honda Civic will fit only the wire is little bit longer. I saved 200.00 from the genuine
Honda product.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts