Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the traction batteries in an Insight yet? Mine has passed the 80,000 mark and the IMA system is acting as though something has changed about the batteries. I haven't priced Honda's replacement, but I'm looking at a set of 120 7.5Ah D cells for $650. I would like to find out a little more about the battery pack's characteristics (how the batteries are connected to each other, etc.). I know the OEM batteries are 6.5Ah capacity. I don't know if the IMA system would have a problem with higher capacity batteries. Opinions? :roll:

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
re: batteries

I have been looking into this also. On several internet battery store sights, I have found the exact replacement D-cell: Panasonic HHR650D. I have found that the higher the amp-hour rating (in this case 6500 mah) the heavier the battery. For example, radio shack stores now cell d-cell NMHI. They have 2 to choose from; the 2800 mah feels very light compared to their 4800 mah. Therefore, going with a higher power battery such as 7500 mah would add quite alot of weight, since you are multiplying x 120. I would stick with the 6500 as Honda uses. Also, in the Insight the batteries are somehow sealed in groups of 2. Does anyone know if this would be a problem; can you just install 120 D cells taped together or something?? Maybe Richard Reece knows about this.....The important thing, though, is replacing batteries ONLY, and avoiding the super high cost of replacing the whole assembly (sensors, modules, and cooling fans)...........Billy

·
Registered
652 Posts
Battery Replacement

I have never looked at the battery internals but recall (Geoff) saying they had screw type terminals to ensure a good contact. As a result I think you would need to go with the orginal Panasonic assuming they can be purchased in this configuartion directly. Have fun

·
Registered
24 Posts
The insight has about 10 voltage sensors and 4 temperature sensors built into the pack. If you decide to replace the cells they are arranged in 40 units of 3 in line. Just be sure the voltage taps are at the same place. I'd love to pull one apart so we all know where the temperature probs are placed and at what point the taps are installed. The taps are probably (my guess as an engineer) installed at the connection point of every 12 cells (14.4 volts).

As to installing n-mh batteries of a higher capacity, it would be OK but wouldn't buy you anything as the envelope is 20-80%. The 6.5ah ni-mh is a standard cell costing about $6-$8. Nothing magic about them. A 7.5 ah cell might cost over $10 as the demand is lower.

The pack is made by Panasconic for Honda (so I've read).

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I used to make Battery packs for R/C Cars I just bought solder tabs and Shrink tubing. never had any problems this sounds like just a big R/C car battery Using D cells instead of Sub C. With the shrink tubing you can make a battery stick as long as you want.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ok, I could be wrong here, but they used the panasonic's for a reason. One their durability, I mean they can make the pack last for 80,000 miles. B their high current abilities. they will move like 80 amps if memory serves. The ones you find at radio shack would probably melt if you could get them to even move near that much. I would think the best bet would be try to secure the individual cells and go about rebuilding it yourself. Actually, I think a pack from Honda is only about $1,300, but I would be curious as to whether or not you could even get one. Could be interesting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Canadian price on battery is about $1900-2200?
the Hybrid civic pack is supposed to be the same capacity but smaller and lighter --- Has anyone looked to see if this will fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts