Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least I think that's the problem. I haven't had a chance yet to get the vehicle up on ramps and examine it, but it appears my 2001 Insight with 73K miles is leaking slightly from the front (side?) main oil seal.

Assuming that's the problem, does anyone have any notion what's entailed in replacing it? I'm talking about doing it myself - not bringing it to a dealer. Has anyone done it? If not, can someone with a shop manual take a glance to see what's entailed?

I replaced the front mail seal on my 1985 Toyota pickup a while ago, and it was surprisingly simple. I'm hoping it's not too different on the Insight. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks much,
---
Steve

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Just a thought.

Clean the area carefully and make sure that it is not a crack or void in the casting. If this is the case it may be covered by warranty, and replacing a seal would not solve the problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty Sure Now It's a Seal

Thanks for the reply, b1shmu63.

Well, I raised the front of the vehicle, donned my coveralls, and dove under my Insight, and there's definitely oil seeping from behind the crank pulley. Based upon my experience with other vehicles, it seems like it's the main seal, but I've never done one on an Insight, so I can't be certain. I pulled off the belt and the plastic part of the wheel well, and the pulley is surpisingly accessible.

I'm ready to try to remove the pulley, but since I don't have a shop manual for the vehicle, I was hoping someone could tell me if the procedure is similar to other vehicles. When/if I get the pulley off, what am I in for? Is the seal replacement fairly straightforward?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

---
Steve

·
Registered
303 Posts
Re: Pretty Sure Now It's a Seal

Shotster said:
Thanks for the reply, b1shmu63.
--snip--

I'm ready to try to remove the pulley, but since I don't have a shop manual for the vehicle, I was hoping someone could tell me if the procedure is similar to other vehicles. When/if I get the pulley off, what am I in for? Is the seal replacement fairly straightforward?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

---
Steve
There are lots of service manuals on eBay and available other places if you google for one. Some posters here have even loaned their copies to their Honda dealers.
:shock:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I will check for you later tonight when i get home! say round 8:00

·
Registered
162 Posts
I checked in the manual...

When you pull the oil pan you need to remove the ac compressor cause its bracket is mounted partly to the oil pan.

Other than that, you have an half o ring type seal, standard stuff ... nothing special here bout replacing that.... same as usuall ... liquid gasket all around....

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JustinGray said:
When you pull the oil pan you need to remove the ac compressor cause its bracket is mounted partly to the oil pan.
Thanks for checking it out, Justin. I was actually hoping I wouldn't need to drop the pan at all. On my Toyota, I just pulled off the crank pulley (harmonic damper or whatever you call it), and the "O" shaped seal slides right out the front. Most folks use a seal puller, but I managed with a hook-type tool I made from an old screwdriver. It's not the pan gasket I'm thinking needs replacement, but rather the front main oil seal around the crankshaft.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
If you need to see the pages, I can scan them and email them to you. You would have to PM me with a valid email address since the PM does not allow attachements

·
Registered
344 Posts
This looks like it would work the same way. After the pulley comes off, remove the oil seal collar and you should be able to "hook" the seal. There is an o-ring also that is actually on the end of the crank behind the collar that needs replaced as well.
I have scanned the page but I see Yves volunteered to send it to you. Let me know if you still need it. It's about a 1.2m jpeg.(high res.)

Shotster said:
the "O" shaped seal slides right out the front. Most folks use a seal puller, but I managed with a hook-type tool I made from an old screwdriver..

·
Registered
340 Posts
From the picture in the book, and the fact it doesn't say anything about removing the oil pan, I don't think you have to have the pan off.
To install the seal, it says you need a Driver 40 mm I.D. 07746-0030100.
It looks like a regular hollow seal driver that will slide over the end of the crank.

1. Dry the crankshaft oil seal housing.
2. Apply a light coat of multipurpose grease to the crankshaft and to the lip of the seal.
3. Using the seal driver, drive in the crankshaft oil seal until the driver bottoms against the oil pump. When the seal is in place, clean any excess grease off the crankshaft and check that the oil seal lip is not distorted.

Sounds pretty much like any other car.

Good luck with it.
Robert

·
Registered
66 Posts
2000 Honda insight. Front Main Engine Seal Replacement.

Hello Everyone.
I have a 2000 Honda insight which needs the front main seal replaced. The engine has 341,000 miles and runs excellent. I recently replace the oil cooler sandwich adapter seals(two o rings) and stop that little leak. Now I see a messy leak from the front main engine seal(pasenger side of engine).

I would like to change this seal as soon as possible. It's leaking and making a mess. I drove the car up onto ramps and can clearly see the leak is coming from the front main engine seal.

I spoke with the mechanic I go to when I encounter a job I do not have the tools to do. He said he has to remove the timing chain cover to get to the main seal. Although I did not read meantion of this in this thread so I'm thinking he may not realize what is involved in replacing the seal.

I would like to replace the main seal myself. If anyone can walk me through the steps, and or posibly email me the procedure, I would greatly appreciate it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

By the way, I already purchase the main seal from Pasadena Honda for just over 10.oo dollars. Is there another seal I need to purchase? I read that theres another o ring or something behind the main seal, at least that's what I recal reading on this thread. I just want to make sure I have all the parts I need before pulling the pulley off.

Ok, so I need a 40mm socket to remove the pulley?

do I need to use a pulley puller? which type or kind? will any size pulley puller work? Sears is near my home and so is Harbor Freight, which both offer many tools and pulley pullers, I believe.

If I were to pay the mechanic to replace this seal(unless it's incredibly simple to do myself) what price range would you consider to be resonable.

by the way, I do prefer to change this front main engine seal myself, My only concern is making sure I have the proper tools needed to do the job. I do not have any air tools nor compressor.

Thank you in advance.

I'm looking forward to any insight that may be shared regarding this main seal replacement.

I can provide my email address to anyone willing to send the documents to my email address which shows the procedure. I have not yet purchase the service manual, although that is something I very much look forward to purchasing.

·
Registered
939 Posts
^^^^ the post above you is word for word from the shop book. You can do it yourself. Skip that mechanic-he has no clue

·
Registered
66 Posts
2000 Honda insight main engine seal replacement procedure.

Thank you biododge.

The Pasadena Honda dealership parts department told me I would need an air gun to remove the pulley.

The note's above my first post on this thread do not mention how one may remove the pulley.

Do you know what tools I will need to remove the main seal pulley(pulley just in front of the main engine seal).

The notes say to use a 40mm socket to remove the pulley(the notes seem to specify using the 40mm tool to slide the new seal onto the crankshaft, I hope this is also the the tool to remove the main pulley bolt/nut). I also do not know what tool may be used to prevent the pulley from spinning while I losen the main pulley bolt/nut. Maybe I can put the car in first gear and put the emergency brake on with wheel blocks in front of the wheels.

If you are saying that all I need is the tools mention in the post above my first post, then I imagine this to mean that I can leave the car in gear, use a 40mm socket(shallow socket should work, not a deep socket?), and the pulley will slide right off by hand, once the 40mm socket is removed?

I've never changed a front main seal on a small engine. I changed the front main seal on a 1970 Mustang with a 351 Cleveland, but had help with that and it was long ago.

I understand the notes above my post mention how to put the new seal in. I'm trying to figure out how to get the pulley off. Thank you for your help.

I'll buy a 40mm socket from Sears to remove the main engine seal Pulley. And hope I'm able to pull the pulley off by hand after this 40mm bolt or nut has been removed. Is there another way to hold the pulley from spinning while I loosen it? I see it has big holes in it, I don't want to damage anything trying to get this pulley off with a breaker bar connected to a 40mm socket.

^^^^ the post above you is word for word from the shop book. You can do it yourself. Skip that mechanic-he has no clue

·
Registered
66 Posts
Replacing Front Main Engine Oil Seal. 2000 To 2006 Honda insight.

For anyone changing their own front main engine seal on the 2000 to 2006 Honda insight. This Pulley Holding tool allows us to hold the pulley. A 19mm socket is also needed. I just order a Crankshaft Pulley Holder Tool and it's on it's way to me now.

The Honda mechanic explain to me that people often try to loosen the pulley with an impact air gun(19mm size socket) and end up breaking the crankshaft. The Honda mechanic explain to me, with the right tool, it's very simple to change this front engine main seal. We simply hold the pulley with the Pulley Holding Tool. Direct Link: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ttn-51700

And use a 19mm deep socket(with a breaker bar, not an impact/air gun- which can break the crankshaft on these engines) which slides inside the Crankshaft Pulley Holding Tool, and loosen the pulley with a 19mm deep socket. The mechanic said the Pulley will slide right off, without using any additional tools such as a pulley puller.

Two non Honda Dealership mechanics said they could change the front main engine seal for 150.oo dollars. I would much rather purchase the tools to do this myself, and then I will always have the tools to do the job, should the Honda insight need another front main engine seal, in the future. After all, my goal is to reach 1,000,000 one million miles.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
MindThoughts -

Good find and advice ;^)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Its not that bad to do

It's not the bad after you understand how much force it takes to remove the darn thing.
You will need:

40mm tool (Mine was tight to the wash so I had to grind out the ID)
19mm 1/2" socket
2-1/2" Breaker Bars
extra jack stand and material to get the jack stand to height
to 1/2" long socket extensions to get past the wheel well

After removing the the serp belt setup a jack stand to support the socket extensions. See the attached photos. I put one breaker to the left of the crankshaft pulley aginst the ground for support that was attached to the 40mm tool. THe other breaker bar will be on the end of the socket extensions and add a extension bar around 4 feet long and go counter clockwise (Lefty Loosey). I basicly was standing on it till it to crack it loose. See the photos.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts