Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, again

Just looked over a thread in General Discusions about a diesel 1.0 litre VW. Seems they use a camera and LCD system to reduce drag, it just looks cool. Has anyone here considerd removing the side mirrors and keeping the mirror directing servos to control micro cameras and mounting effective small LCD displays on or near the dash? Also does anyone know of an electric window shade that would work for Insight's back hatch? A friend of mine mentioned that Mercedes uses one in certain of their production cars. Apprecaite any input.

Saboeme

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Salome:

___A PC tech site called Arstechnica.com that I used to frequently visit had an Insight review about 3 or 4 years ago where a friend of the sites admin did a mod similar to what you have envisioned IIRC. Head on over and look around. I am sure you will find it with about 5 minutes worth of searching if the article is still available.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2uzqju8o][email protected][/email:2uzqju8o]

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Salome:

___Never mind the search, here it is: Honda Insight. In particular, page 4 of the review has some commentary about having LCD(s) installed in place of the mirrors ;)

___And the goofy windmill attachment? I hadn’t a clue as to how nuts some Insighter’s must have been way back when but that guy was definitely out to lunch :roll:

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:95x8tqbr][email protected][/email:95x8tqbr]

·
Registered
804 Posts
Does anyone know if it's illegal to remove the side mirrors? Need to know that before proceeding.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hmm, that's a good point.
Where I live, (in Canada) I don't think it's illegal, but you likely wouldn't be able to get the a road safety certificate without them, which is required to transfer ownership.

I can't speak for the United States though. However, I don't believe that those solar cars that they have in those cross-country races have side mirrors. So maybe they aren't mandatory.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
You could always install a set of dental mirrors like the bikers. :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm not in favor of such a mod. Modern CCD cameras may be pretty good, but they still don't have the light sensitivity of a good pair of eyes. I.E. cameras won't be able to make out details in the dark that your eyes can. The monitors will have to better than your typical LCD screen so it will not be washed out in direct sunlight. And they need good backlighting too.

The end result will be a system that may be more aerodynamic, but will weigh more, cost alot more and break down more often. No thanks, I'll take simplicity and safety over a little aero drag.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not realize that I would get such a responce. Thanks Driver XCEL for the link it was pretty good, and I have to agree with you on the windmill thing.
Jackmpg, I have not seriously looked at total cost to do this. Others brought questions about the legality of such a mod. I will have to find out if PA. would permit this. Funkysama indicates that it may not be worth the trouble with present systems. Also I do not have much experience with CCD cameras and their limits. I was hoping that someone on this forum might know and could give some tips. Thanks all for the input.

Saboeme,
or Salome?

G

·
0 Posts
I can't make a decision on which looked uglier... those camera mounts or the windmill... I'm leaning to the camera mounts. Uggg... That looks terrible!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,920 Posts
Check your local DMV laws before attempting such a set up. Calif. is probably a "nono."

I personally don't think it would be benifical to remove the mirrors. They are pretty good in shape as far as being "aero".

The drag they produce is probably minimal and would only hinder the mileage at high speed (above 80)...............My opinion.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
As I stated earlier, it's NOT legal in most if not all states. Electronics can fail then the driver would have no side rearview device.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Billy (a somewhat regular poster here at IC) has removed the mirrors on I think at least his last two Insights and replaced them with cameras. Here's a link to the post with a link to pix of his 2005: http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 61&start=0

I believe that most states DO NOT require side view mirrors as long as the view in the rear view mirror through the rear windscreen is unobstructed (I could be wrong).

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,920 Posts
Calif. Vehicle code:

Section 26709(a) states that 2 mirrors are required with at least one mounted on the left hand side of vehicle on all vehicles subject to registration.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Jim said:
I believe that most states DO NOT require side view mirrors as long as the view in the rear view mirror through the rear windscreen is unobstructed (I could be wrong).
You are wrong. A single center rearview mirrow still leaves blind spots and the reason for side mirrors. I used to be that a passenger side mirror was optional but those days are long gone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
camera mirrors

"need current link to mirror mods" I am a proud new to me owner of a 2000 insight and new on here and the previos link to Billy's insight mirror mods is no longer good does any one have it or a good link to some mods the other one had such a shoddy/bulky mount that it probably hurt cd

my thought was to have a thin mirror folded in to the windo with the camers monted on it as a DPS and fail safe flip out on the drivers side and then a inside the cab convex on the pass side

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,920 Posts
Billy had his cameras mounted in his tail lights. The monitor was mounted next to the steering wheel. (Left side). I have a picure of his vehicle at a car show in Washington,(I drove up there one weekend to see it...8/18/07)

Willie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great could you post a link to that picture(s)
wish I lived in OK as they dont rquire side mirrors (acording to a hot rod builder in Morris OK) and they dont have a front license I am still stalling on the title change as to not drill the vergin front bumper I will probably do the inside front wind shield till I get a ticket it looks so clean with out it so would the dumbo mirrors, but I will have to have a small flip out that will pass Texas as I have to have the left they have passed other cars without the right and even my old 87 crx hf with out the center mirror as I tor it off after geting tailgated by a p/u for 40 miles on a curvy 2 lane but we Have to have the left (drvs side) and it has to be ajustable so I will make it a flip out thin like a ranger p/u and have the camera there used when folded in or the rear sounds good too

Plus the pass side deleate wont look so amputated with a small thin folable on the right I hope

1 - 20 of 21 Posts