Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone decided to try to carve the radio out of the dash of my 01 Insight with a screwdriver. In the process of destroying the radio, the dash panel was ruined.

I have found a new panel, but after looking at the pictures (i don't have the replacement yet), I am wondering if this is something that I can do myself. It looks like I'd have to disassemble the entire dash, including removing the steering wheel and airbags?

It's probably unlikely that anyone here has had to replace this part before, but maybe someone that has stripped out a wrecked insight or has a service manual might be able to let me know what I'm in for. Maybe I'll need to have a dealer do it.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Eh? I have removed the panel around my stereo (admittedly double DIN) and it was a straight forward job involving two screws and around eleven clips (straight push on/pull off). You will have to unplug the accessory outlet as well.

I did this months ago and still haven't put it back :oops: ......I haven't been looking hard enough for someone to wire up my TV tuner.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
OK - I didn't realise that the stereo thief had actually tried to murder your Insight dashboard! If you need to replace that major section then I would recommend going to a dealer, what with the airbags and electrics.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2452948372

Hope you read this soon, 6 hours left and only a $25 opening bid, would be a heck of a lot cheaper than getting a new one. Anyways, it could be done, but if your pressed for any amount of time I would recommend leaving it to someone else. If you do decide to give it a try on your own get the service manual and follow all the precautions carefully. If done right it will be ok, but there is always the potential possibility when working around an air bag. I've removed one of em before, you just gotta know what your doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rick

Thanks for the heads up. I am the bidder on that auction. I agree that $25 is better than $350 :)

I'll have to see what the dealer wants to do the work. I might be able to do it myself, but at this point I don't know exactly what I'd be dealing with. I have all the time in the world, so I will look for further feedback on this forum, and look into getting a service manual.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Dang, you stole that dash. I had the only bid on the door panels, and was outbid with literally 2 seconds to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rick, Yeah for me :) (I also got the HVAC controls for $25) Bummer for you :(

I am still looking for 2 more dash parts. If I find a donor that also has good door panels, I'll gladly forward the info to you.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
What other dash parts do you need?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The panel below the radio which also houses the accessory outlet, and the main drivers side trim piece that goes around the cluster and trims out the HVAC, and all other dash controls.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hmmm, well at least you got the most expensive part cheap, I think the piece under the radio will run you ~$50 from Honda. Sounds like they did a lot of damage.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
This might be a good opportunity to find the dash rattle. I know to get the steering wheel off you'll need a bolt puller set. If you have a harbor freight near you they will have a kit that'll do the job for $10.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts