Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I screwed up and managed to break my right quarter panel window. It's got tinting film on it, so it didn't crumble and fall out, but it's all spider webbed. It's a done deal. The window is 66 bucks from Majestic Honda, and there's also rubber dam and a garnish.

Majestic Honda parts page:
Honda Automotive Parts

So I'm wondering is this is a feasable DIY project for a reasonably handy person who has never replaced auto glass before. I'd really appreciate comments from you guys who have done this or something similar.

I kinda want Honda glass. Maybe it's dumb, but I like to have real Honda parts on my Insight. You guys probably understand.

·
Linsight Designer
1,802 Posts
My understanding is that the window is glued in. Make sure you also buy the plastic trim piece because you'll probably break the present one ripping the old window out.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, but I was offered a very attractive deal on a used window professionally installed for only a little more than the cost of the new glass I'd intended to buy.

Works for me, so I won't be doing this job myself after all.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Does he have another,I just cracked mine try get my keys out,,need a right side passenger..help how did you get the old one out atokovi

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I spent hours in a junkyard trying to remove one of these windows and without the experience and tools of an automotive glass technician, I deem it NOT a DIY project.
If yours is broken, removal is much easier, but trying to remove one intact is rather difficult.

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
Reckon that is because no one has ever broken the side window........................ in 20 yrs?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’ve removed both sides from my parts car. I used the wire style urethane cutter to slice the urethane. I applied mild heat to the glass to make things easier.

3M sells some awesome urethane and glass prep, which I’ve used often when replacing windshields on my older Nissans.

Just be patient and take your time. If you get hung up, stop and look. No need to get violent with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts