Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...I did do a search on this. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any more info. I just bought this car a month ago. It's a 2006 with only 16000 miles. The check engine light went on a few days ago so I took it to the dealer (Luckily I paid for the extended warranty.) They said the car needs a new catalytic converter. They checked the records on the car and said it has already had the "fix" that apparently was required. So they hooked it up to the computer again and it's still saying the car needs a catalytic converter. I don't have to pay for it, but I'm a little nervous now about this car. Am I going to need a new Cat every 16000 miles? What's going on here? Any one else have this problem? Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
cat codes

Don't worry about this being a repetitive problem...you probably won't have it happen again.The OBD system re: emissions,thus cat performance,is quite narrowly defined,even after the ECM reflashing fix.If you just keep driving the car normally this will probably never reoccur.

So have it fixed under warranty...then avoid long periods of idling,short trips,and drive the car to warm it up when it is cold.

If it ever throws cat codes again,off warranty,well,just know that alot of Insights do,and they perform normally for a long time that way.If you don't need annual emissions inspections,then you can just keep driving,and not replace anything.Even if you do need OBD checks for emissions,some things can be done....

I get cat codes on and off......they clear themselves,and the car is performing perfectly.I am not subject to emissions testing..JMHO...someone else may disagree,ofcourse.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Please correct me if I am confused, but I think the Check Engine light goes on if the gas cap is not properly screwed on? Either put on crooked or not tightened several clicks? And it may take several days to clear after it has been put on properly? I did this once and clearing did take a while.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
The loose gas cap would throw a different code for the check engine.

Lovemycars: Since you do have the extended warranty and if it happens again, your still covered (assuming you are still under the warranty mileage)...Also if it does happen again within the low miles that you have, you should try to get them to replace whatever is causing the failure as well since the cat should not really fail (twice) with such low miles.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
295 Posts
Re: Replacing the Catalytic Converter...Only 16,000 miles on

Lovemycars said:
They said the car needs a new catalytic converter. !
If you need one, I have one for reserve, but I sold my Insight so I don't need it anymore.
You can send me a mail, if you need one

1 - 5 of 5 Posts