Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

It sounds like one of my wheel bearings needs replacing. I'd like to do it myself; has anyone done this? What specialized tools would it require? Does anyone know specs of a replacement bearing? Is there anything weird I should know about, like non-standard grease?

Also, what if the races are damaged, as well? Does this require shop tools (say, a hydraulic press) to do? I'll look to see what the damage is as soon as it stops snowing ... but I jacked the car up & spun the wheels by hand, individually, and the back drivers'-side door made a very bearing-like noise.

And out of curiousity, has anyone else had wheel bearings go bad? My insight is a standard transmission, from 2000.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
My 2000 Insight 5 speed has about 110,000 km and it has the original wheel bearings in good condition (so it seems).

I highly recommend buying or ordering an Insight Service manual, the ones used by mechanics. It explains everything you are asking plus more.

·
Registered
242 Posts
wheel bearings

krobinso,

you might want to get a second opinion before you start pulling parts off the car. Although not impossible that you have a failed bearing, it's very unlikely. If the bearings are set up right at the factory they shouldn't need any attention for quite a long time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
are your tires wore evenly in the back? worn tires make bearing noises. If you want to check your bearings, lift the rear,remove the tire and drum, spin the bearing and listen for noise, compare the noise to the other side. There should be NO NOISE! changing the bearings are easy just pop off the cap and undo the nut, tighten to 80 psi. and lock the nut. Good luck Tony

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
right, that's what i did to check the bearings in the first place =). in addition to the tight bearing noise, there's a clicking that i hadn't noticed earlier. the car drove ~30 miles between the first and second time i listened to the bearings, but probably 500 miles since the back wheels first started humming (another noise i attribute to the wheel bearings). so i'm not sure how worried to be!

at any rate, the service manual i ordered should come next week. in the mean time, could someone who has one tell me what size the bearing is, so i can find the price & local availability?

also, you say "changing the bearing is easy," which i like. of course, i'm also concerned about the races. and what's your favorite procedure for getting the inner hubcap off? i couldn't find a good place on it to pry with a screwdriver, and wasn't sure about prying against the drum brake pads. (NB: inner hubcap = that piece of pressed sheet metal that goes through the hole in the drum, not the plastic decoration over the lug nuts.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maybe i'm being stupid, but how would you remove the drum cap? i saw a small groove near the outside of the cap, but it didn't look like enough to pry against.

(hopefully when my manual comes in a few days, all this will be clearer!)

·
Registered
40 Posts
click on the oval that says "view these parts" in my previous post for a parts breakdown.

Also this pic shows the brass cap and the aluminum brake drum seam.
The cap should separate at the joint the screwdriver is pointing to.

Under that cap is a nut holding the bearing assembly on.

http://216.12.201.158/forums/uploads//1 ... 840266.jpg

Note: Image edited to Link by Moderator, original image too large (exceeding 450x450)

Sorry MR Moderator, thought I had it shrunk enough :oops:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts