Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So I'm pretty certain I have a bad ISB on my 2000 manual insight. I'm insecure about cracking open my transmission to replace the bearing, so right now I'm planning on swapping out the whole transmission. I will only have a few days at my brother's garage to do the swap, so I felt it wouldn't hurt to ask a few questions here as well to make sure I have all necessary parts and tools in hand.

First off, I'm looking at buying a replacement from 'lowmilageparts'. (I'd post a link but I'm too new to the forum. It's $920, but tested and with a 5-year warranty. I'm open to other ideas if people have them.

What else will I need? My shopping list right now looks like this:

- Manual 2000 Transmission (obviously)
- Replacement seal - 91205-PL3-A01
- Replacement seal - 91206-PHR-003
- Clutch Kit (might as well replace this while I'm in there)
- Transmission fluid

Are there any other parts I'm going to need to swap over to get this transmission installed? Will I need any special tools? How necessary is it to get the flywheel resurfaced? Will that take extra tools?

Thanks for any feedback, I'm looking forward to this!

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Hello,

So I'm pretty certain I have a bad ISB on my 2000 manual insight. I'm insecure about cracking open my transmission to replace the bearing, so right now I'm planning on swapping out the whole transmission. I will only have a few days at my brother's garage to do the swap, so I felt it wouldn't hurt to ask a few questions here as well to make sure I have all necessary parts and tools in hand.

First off, I'm looking at buying a replacement from 'lowmilageparts'. (I'd post a link but I'm too new to the forum. It's $920, but tested and with a 5-year warranty. I'm open to other ideas if people have them.

What else will I need? My shopping list right now looks like this:

- Manual 2000 Transmission (obviously)
- Replacement seal - 91205-PL3-A01
- Replacement seal - 91206-PHR-003
- Clutch Kit (might as well replace this while I'm in there)
- Transmission fluid

Are there any other parts I'm going to need to swap over to get this transmission installed? Will I need any special tools? How necessary is it to get the flywheel resurfaced? Will that take extra tools?

Thanks for any feedback, I'm looking forward to this!
Why buy a used one...? Scott sells completely rebuilt ones for 750 (plus shipping).

·
Super Moderator
5,020 Posts
+1. Call Scott and discuss your options. 909-605-3810

Sam

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I agree,,pull it ,ship it to Scott, he's the go to guy for rebuilds,I did do mine for about 450.00 in parts ,hardest part is setting all the gears back in right,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey everyone,

I ended up calling Scott and ordering a rebuilt transmission from him. He's an astonishing wealth of information. I'm gonna do the clutch at the same time, so I'm swapping the flywheel for one he's machined as well.

I'll let you know how it turns out, and thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know of a mechanic in the Northern California area that can do a transmission rebuild? We bought the parts a while back from the Honda dealer to do the rebuild ourselves, but we can no longer do so.
~Lori
Antioch, Ca
2001 Insight, manual transmission

·
Super Moderator
5,020 Posts
Scroll up and see Post #3.

Sam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts