Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just became the proud owner of a 2000 Insight (Silver, A/C 29500 miles). I flew to New Orleans to pick the car up from a Honda Dealer and I am really very happy with it.

My question to the group is about the LMPG. When I got the car it was 58.5 (not great, but not awful either). Since I have owned the car I am at an average of 68.2mpg (Mixed hwy and city). I am top 80mpg on my 33 mile commute to work.

I know the LMPG will come up. I hit 58.7 this morning. But is there any opinion on resetting it so it reflexs the LMPG since I have owned the vehical? Or should I just leave it and assume that it is the LMPG since it was purchased, which I don't know to be true?

Thanks for the opinions.

·
Registered
700 Posts
You can use one of the Trip odometers as your own, "personal" LMPG if you decide to keep the LMPG.

I would reset it, myself. It's ancient history.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's entirely up to you. I don't see the need to retain what the previous owner did.

I reset mine the moment I bought it; the previous owner had only 47 lmpg over 43k miles. Unfortunately I drove it the 1200 miles home with the tire pressure only at 32 :roll:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If you leave the lmpg and use one of the trip odometers for your own personal lmpg keep this in mind. The trip odometers will roll back to 0 miles after 2000 miles have elapsed, but it will still keep keeping track of the mileage. So if you do this it's ok when it keeps going back to 0, the mileage is still correct.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I left the LMPG alone and use "Trip B" to track my "Personal LMPG" which has worked well. LMPG started at 51.7 and I got it up to 54.2 with my PLMPG at about 60. It was fun watching the LMPG rise but with my new commute I'm only getting about 55.6 so I think the LMPG will level off where it's at.

Either way, have fun 8)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Since I happend to buy my used Insight from one of the most fuel efficient drivers in North America I left the LMPG alone.
I bought my used Insight last year with ODO of 36,000 km with LMPG of 2.9L/100km (EPA rating is 3.2)
Previous owner felt guilty that his LMPG used to be 2.7 L/100 km until he drove back from Florida in a hurry...LOL

Anyways as most of you know I race my Insight so I use more fuel them most people here, but now my car has 86,000 km and a LMPG of 3.8 L/100km (Thanks to the previous owner) because when I fill up my tank average is usually 4 to 4.5 L/100km not bad for a combination of commuting and weekly racing.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
My car has an interesting history,
A) first month production Insight
B) first owner had 2.7 L/100 km lifetime one of the best in the world
C) second owner (me) is one of the few people in the world that races his Insight and occasianally wins

So my personal suggestion is that in order to impress people with our insights those that buy them used should reset their LMPG if they find that they are doing better then the previous owner. But those lucky enough to buy used Insights with awesome LMPG (like me) should keep it to show off the amazing but true car lifetime LMPG to friends and strangers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all who replyed to my posting. I decided that I would reset the LMPG in order to reflect my LMPG and not a combined of mine and the previous owners.

The next item on my list is to find the solution for the wet seatbelt problem that has shown up.

Thanks again and I look forward to chatting with my fellow owners.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts