Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you reset the lifetime MPG reading? Is it even possible? I know it's illegal to reset the odometer (very illegal :wink: ) , but there must be a way to reset the LMPG reading.

When I get my Insight (Used) I don't want to have my LMPG messed up by some other driver who didn't know how to drive it correctly and only got 48 mpg or something (I'm aiming for 65+, preferably 70).

Thanks to all

MacW

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think this is possible - I'll have to check my manual. But worst case scenario you can use one of the trip meters for you personal LMPG. You get 2 to play with, plus a third one by hitting the FCD button. This one is meant for measuring parts of a trip.

Ron

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
One thing though that I think a lot of Insighters aren't aware of. Any of the trip odometers will roll back over to 0 miles when you reach 2000 on one of them. It will still keep the mileage, but just keep track of how many times it rolls over. The procedure to reset the lifetime is somewhere in the owners manual, I've seen it.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
MacW - As stated by Ron and Rick, LMPG resets are possible. Check your manual and don't cheat too often! :wink: I did one when I got it from the dealership. Although my Insight only had about 30 miles on it, the mpg reading was at about 35...

Rick - Thanks for mentionning the trip meter resets. I guess I've always reset mine before they reached 2000 miles, so I never noticed this.

Benjamin

·
Registered
123 Posts
Resetting the Lifetime Fuel Mileage Display

Macwarrior,
I too bought my Insight used and wanted the display to show only my achievements.

To reset the Lifetime Fuel Mileage display,
1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).
- If the engine is running, put the transmission in neutral and set the parking brake.
2. Press the Trip button to display the odometer. Then press and hold the Trip button until the Lifetime Fuel Mileage Display starts to blink (approximately 5 seconds).
3. Release the Trip button, and press it again while the display is blinking. (Hold it until the display clears to dashes.

Your Lifetime Fuel Mileage Display is reset at this point.

~Martin
2000 Silver 5 spd

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great tip Motty82, just tried it successfully. That had been getting on my nerves for quite some time. Good investigative work...

·
Registered
40 Posts
reset??

Okay....how ethical is it to reset lmpg? I, too, like others, don't want MY lmpg to be tough to move up because of 70k miles of someone else's driving. I want to...but I want to know what you guys think first! ;)

lindsay

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
You could always just reset trip B and never reset it. It will keep track of the mileage, but you'll have to keep track of how many times it rolls over 2000 miles back to 0. I've had my trip B the same for probably 20K+ miles now.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Ethics ?
I have kept a daily log book since I picked the car up from the previous owner. It has recorded in it, the mileage and the lmpg of the car at that time, which was 62.9. I reset the lmpg the other day after I recorded my first tank over 100 mpg. (it had come up to 66.2 over apx. 8k miles) I had pondered this reset question and even asked the opinion of the forum in one of my first posts. I felt it was time for me to reset as this will be and indication of my personal driving (now that I've sorta learned how to drive it :shock: ). I use trip A for daily commutes, and B for tank mileage. Since I had recorded all facts and figures for the record, for comparison, for potential buyers, or whatever; I had no problem or guilt associated with the reset. I asked the former owner if it had been reset, he said "I don't even think you can_DO_that !!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I regretted not resetting it when I bought a used Insight. Someone had reset it half way into the cars miles, so it wasn't even accurate anyway.

I'm replacing that car with a non-salvaged one for the long run and will definitely reset it when I pick it up this weekend.

Nothing proves to others what mileage the car is getting like the lmpg does. It's way to common to hear exaggerated mpg numbers based on checking it once on a long highway trip, variations in calculating a single tank by the pump, rounded up numbers, or people choosing to mention their upper range instead of AVERAGE. I want my car to show with a cold hard number that it's beaten the EPA every tank I've owned it.

Saying a car averages 70mpg is one thing, showing the lmpg and explaining it is another.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Ethics in regard to what is effectivly a "trip" meter :?: (since the manufacturer provides a reset option) You guys crack me up :!: :lol:

Ethics in regard to resetting this meter and driving _very_ conservatively vs the previous style and not disclosing this before a sale to try and convince a potential buyer of the TLC the car has been given. That would be the question :!:

Caveat Emptor :!:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
There is no ethical issue here with resetting the lmpg. It will quickly fall in line with only a few miles of driving. I reset mine and it is actually has a worse lmpg than I had before. This is because before I did a lot of highway driving and now it's all city driving. I should have left well enough alone.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
If you reset the LMPG does it also reset the miles associated with that LMPG. In other words. IF i buy a car with 50K miles on it and reset the lifetime mileage, will the display for LMPG part the miles over along with the MPG. I'm not asking about the ODO. Like someone else stated. I want to see MY lifetime mileage not someone else but I do not want to give the impression that I was trying to "cheat" on anything. I'm hoping that the LMPG reset also rests the mileage like a third trip meter.n Thanks in advance

I'm new and still have not bought my first Gen 1.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
If I correctly understand what you're asking, I think the answer is 'no'. Sounds like you're asking whether there's a separate trip meter that corresponds to the LMPG - so if you reset LMPG does it reset this trip meter? But there isn't a separate trip meter. Pretty sure that, when you reset LMPG, it simply starts the LMPG calculation over. The odometer stays the same, there's no separate trip meter for LMPG only, and the other two trip meters - 'trip' and 'trip segment', are separate (and don't log more than something like 2500 miles total)...

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Thanks that answers my question for when I am looking at ones to buy. The LTMPG is just the MPG since the last LTMPG reset and does not really reflect the MPG since zero miles on the ODO.

·
Premium Member
Southern California
810 Posts
Well, it does if the LMPG was never reset. I didn't reset mine when I got the car because I like the idea that it's an overall indicator of how well the car was driven over its lifetime.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It's way to common to hear exaggerated mpg numbers based on checking it once on a long highway trip, variations in calculating a single tank by the pump, rounded up numbers, or people choosing to mention their upper range instead of AVERAGE. I want my car to show with a cold hard number that it's beaten the EPA every tank I've owned it.
My second Insight was at 58 lmpg when I bought it at 111K miles. I reset it shortly after buying it, and 11,000 miles later it's at 74.7 lmpg. I kept the pic of the lmpg from before I reset it, so when I go to sell the car I'll show the buyer the potential gas mileage they can achieve by driving the car carefully, and the gas mileage they can expect if they just get in and drive.

I really doubt that that anybody looking for a G1 Insight these days isn't interested in the mpg, though!

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
My LMPG has also never been reset .. and I never intend to do so .. I'd rather pull it up from previous owner .. but I understand the logic why others choose to reset theirs .. to each their own.

If needed/desired one can always use the rate of change in the MPG or LMPG to test for the distance that MPG or LMPG was over.

Compare change in LMPG compared to known distance and known MPG from trip meters.

Compare change in LMPG over known change in distance with zero gallons of fuel used .. engine off long hill , or treadmill.

Compare change in LMPG over known change in gallons with zero miles traveled .. stationary ICE running.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Thanks that answers my question for when I am looking at ones to buy. The LTMPG is just the MPG since the last LTMPG reset and does not really reflect the MPG since zero miles on the ODO.
Right, but it's probably pretty rare that the LMPG display doesn't reflect a true lifetime figure. As I recall it's not the most straight forward reset. I thought about resetting when I bought the car, but like the others I didn't. Easy enough to track mpg other ways... fyi, if you can be reasonably assured that the LPMG wasn't reset, it can be a useful guide to how the car had been driven over it's life. From my reading over the years, or at least as I recall from when I was keeping an eye on this, something around 52 mpg is typical for cars that haven't been driven in a very economical way - probably a lot of in-city driving. Values over about 58 mpg are probably pretty good. You can do a lot better - I've averaged about 68 mpg over the past 4 years...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I reset my LMPG just after I bought it. How do I know, being the 3rd owner, it wasn't reset previously? Resetting it allowed me to know WHEN it was last reset, and allows me to track MY LMPG from when I started to own it. Another one of my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts