Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any tips/suggestions/experience regarding refurbishing/repainting/re-covering the interior door panels on a Gen 1— specifically, the concave section in the middle of the door. Previous owner wore off great patches of the original fuzzy surface. Maybe they could be texture-painted? Wrapped? Re-flocced? Maybe just taken down to bare substrate and spray-painted?

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Depends on the year - 2004-6 have "mouse fur" - I don't think you can patch, but a good upholstery shop can quote you a re-wrap or you can youtube how to replace it yourself.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Following your suggestions I found a likely video on YouTube:
. It doesn't discuss how to get rid of the old covering, but I assume the smoother you get the surface the better. There must be solvents that would wipe out the original "fabric" without harming the underlying plastic, or maybe it could be scorched with a torch and then sanded off. The piece in the YouTube demo is more complex topologically than the Insight panel, and yet the rewrapping doesn't appear to be all that difficult.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
...maybe it could be scorched with a torch and then sanded off.
That doesn't sound like a good idea. My guess is that physically ripping-off the fabric by hand, careful cuts, etc. would be the first step, followed by a combination of gentle scraping with a plastic tool (like a credit card) and probably some rubbing with weak solvent (I'm thinking of this I think citrus-based wax and tar remover stuff I've seen in local auto parts store) to take care of the rest, like glue residue or whatever Honda has under there. Some light sanding might help/be needed at the end, maybe in some spots, depends on how hard rather than 'gooey' any remaining residue is, how much is left, etc. How clean you need to make the panel depends on how you intend to attach the covering, like if it's adhered via glue/sticker backing over 100% of the surface, then you'd probably need a clean panel over 100% of the surface. But if you use mechanical fasteners, like staples, in strategic locations, you might not need such a thoroughly cleaned surface... etc etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
weak solvent (I'm thinking of this I think citrus-based wax and tar remover stuff I've seen in local auto parts store) to take care of the rest, like glue residue or whatever Honda has under there.
Yeah, or there might be some solvent that's targeted specifically at the adhesive Honda used, if one knew just what that was. The torch move might be something of a last resort, especially given there's no hidden spot to test it out on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts