Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all! I just returned from the trip I said I was undertaking....Seattle to Miami, FL. I went solo & removed the other seat. I played the piano @ the airport Marriott in Miami, (part time job) then attended the 12 hours of Sebring sports car race. I carried a small 2 gallon gas container to extend my range. For example, I went from Tucson AZ to Baton Rouge LA non-stop! I brought my bucket & mitt and washed the car 3 or 4 times. I mostly had light headwinds, but at one point on I-40 near Henryetta, OK I had a 40 mph tailwind. I was so excited I was nearly foaming at the mouth, but it lasted only an hour as I came into a heavy rain & calm wind. I saw many beautiful passing sights including historic colonial houses in GA, and amazing red cliffs & rocks in far northern AZ. I was near Eglin Air Force Base in FL just 3 hours after they tested the big MOAB bomb. I met with 2 expert Insighters in Phoenix; Ricky and Clayton the Blue Insight man! Anyway, I kept my fuel receipts and carried my GPS from my airplane to verify the numbers. Here's the scoop: Total miles 7390..... Gallons burned 82.34..... MPG 89.623..... Driving hours 124.8..... Driving days 7.3..... Avg miles/day 1014..... Tire pressure 49/47...... Motor oil RedLine 5w-20 (synth)..... Oil consumed 0...... Fuel type Chevron regular......Fuel cost $128.60.....Typical speed 61 mph...... I was trying to average 90mpg but didn't quite make it. I found the biggest key to high mpg was to keep it in the lean burn mode! It is a process of very slightly letting UP on the gas pedal while cruising on the freeway. So now it's time to change my oil......after all that driving, only 2.5 qts of oil...AMAZING!!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
those are some NICE numbers, great job! I'll use them when i talk about how great this car is :D

did you get sleepy or sore at all?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
NON STOP from Tucson, AZ to Baton Rouge, LA is outrageous! I'm impressed by your stamina.

We made two stops along the way during that leg of our trip, just east of El Paso, TX (easily the ugliest, dirtiest city on our whole cross country trip) and in San Antonio, TX. I-10 the whole way. Sounds like you went a bit more northerly?

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
results of long trip...

Tim; no, I stayed on the I-10 eastbound. On the return trip (westbound) I took the I-40. It was lots of fun......Billy

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
How'd you like New Mexico? Nothing but dust (not even dirt, dust) for miles, interrupted only by the occasional dust devil and tacky roadside tourist trap sign.

Did you stop to look at the Thing?

And what about those grooves (more like ditches) in the road left by semis, so you're riding either with the left or right wheel down in the hole and it's impossible to get out?

The roads in Louisiana are something special, too, the way the road buckled into a sawtooth between Texas and Baton Rouge so it's like driving off a curb every quarter mile...

I can see why you didn't go back on I-10 :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
distance

Hi Billy
glad you had a good trip. I was reading on the VSAAB list where Chuck Christ was at Sebring driving his orange vintage saab 93. So did taking the seat out help? this Lean Burn technique is interesting, I'll have to practice this, but since I'm still learning to drive, I don't know the indicators of Lean Burn, maybe you can elaborate. Great picture that Rick posted of the three Insights in Phoenix.

rodney
'03 MT driven barefoot

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Re: distance

rodneyAB said:
this Lean Burn technique is interesting, I'll have to practice this, but since I'm still learning to drive, I don't know the indicators of Lean Burn, maybe you can elaborate.
Just let the pedal out once your up to speed, the fcd will jump suddenly, thats lean burn. You should be able to hold the instant near 100mpg dpeneding on your speed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
shoulda stopped by

Wow. I'm the only one in South Florida that I know has these cars. I know more people probably exist but I haven't seen them. They're not super popular. Would have been kewl to have you stop by on the way down (about an hour north of Miami) and I coulda seen your stick shift insight. Can't find them here, all CVT. Ohh well, nice trip and nice mpg.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mr. Glitch; I did see 2 other Insights in S Florida; one of them parked and camped very near me at Sebring. It was a 5-speed from W Palm Bch.......Billy

·
Registered
102 Posts
If I see one I may be tempted to leave a note on it and invite them to join InsightCentral.net so we can converse. If we can get 4 or 5 of us together we could hold a meeting and it'd be just kewl.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow, those are impressive numbers. I'm going to try and make it to Maine from NJ later this year, but woof, you have some serious road endurance. I was wondering how much fuel would fit into a special gas tank molded into the cargo area under the trapdoor? Maybe 7-8 gallons? Im sure the extra weight (7 lbs a gallon around) would be about the weight of a passenger or cargo.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I calculate your fuel tank idea would hold about 8.8 gallons. I would NOT advise doing that; your utility & storage would be compromised, in addition to rear end collision safety concerns. Several years ago I installed an aluminum 13 gallon tank in my CRX HF where the spare tire used to be. It worked out fine. Also, NJ to Maine is not all that far, one just needs to have patience and enjoy the drive.............

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
2000-mile tank!

Posted to honda-hybrid in early April, 2002:

I'm VERY excited to report my first-ever 2000-mile tank of gas in my Insight. After reading how others had filled the evap cannister to push their Insight range to 1000 miles or farther, I decided that the nearly 800 miles I was getting on each fill-up was not worth the compromise.

So, I filled up the hidden cargo bin with gasoline, and rigged a surgical tubing siphon from there, outside the car, through the back hatch, and in to the fuel tank. I then drove it all weekend at 50 mph on Los Angeles freeways. Other than the "Check Engine" light staying on all the time due to the gas cap not being fully closed, some sloshing of gas in the cargo area when going over the Sepulveda Pass on the 405, a couple of minor fires, and a bit of a headache from the fumes, I haven't had any problems.

I took some pictures; I'll scan them and post them as soon as I get back from the hospital to see why I'm coughing up blood. I was having trouble seeing as the trip wound on so I'm not sure if they were in focus. Please forgiv3 any tyops as well, as my right ey setill has not stopped wnadering.

Hppay drivig!
- tim
200 slive 5pds #2342, 23042fmigpalv;29A083CNAVC..FKHADKAFJN

·
Registered
102 Posts
Almost got me. As I read that he filled up the bin, I also thought "He used a container right?" and then I read about the hose going into the gas tank and I'm like "your kidding right?" and read on then I figured it out. Was about to say, that's insane.

Lets see though, 10.5 gallon tank at an average of 60 mpg gets you a little over 600 miles on one tank. To get over 2000, you'd need at least another 20-25 gallon tank. You could do it with a 15-20 gallon tank if you got better gas mileage, like driving ultra conservatively and such. It's still too heavy though and too dangerous to drive with that much gas in your little car.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Glad you guys liked it.

Many people really have gotten 1000+ mile "tanks" on 5spd Insights pretty consistently, or more, by filling up the neck and evap cannister. I put "tanks" in quotes because IMO they're not really filling a standard 10.5 gal tank anymore... which is what inspired my silly little post :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts