Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
11,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 LTO packs (8 blocks) 96 cells with BMS connecting leads etc arriving today from the US. :)
Thanks to those over the pond who made that happen and organised shipping etc.

So my 320,000 mile project car will likely get the LTO treatment in the spring.
I'll def be using a BCM Replacer and either the LTO BMS boards or an Orion2 as I have one sat on the bench.

I might go for as high a voltage system as the stock DC-DC will tolerate so around 220V fully charged.

Or I might remove the stock dc-dc and try and use all 8 blocks with a meanwell psu as i have those lying about.
This will give me a bit more room in the IPU and a pack voltage range of (144-259V) for 1.5-2.7V per cell.

Also used will be 175A fuse, +40% current hack along with full OBDIIC&C/IMAC&C P&P combo.

I'll try and glean as much from the previous LTO install threads as possible regarding physical installation.

I'm more interested in the electrical integration and BMS/BCM relationship etc etc.
I will also have an onboard Zivan NG3 3kw mains charger controlled by the BCM Replacer.

I shall document the progress with it on this thread..

I might get a bespoke aluminium (plastic lined) box made to actually hold the cell blocks.
I think that will look much neater and be more secure. We shall see.

Hope you all have a good xmas. Peter

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,713 Posts
Peter if you go with the meanwell PSU what measures do you need to take to prevent a CEL?

If one can run an IMA system without the stock DC/DC converter without a CEL, this lets us get past possible IGBT failure right? It also seems like it would free a lot of room in the IPU case since the meanwells are smaller than the DC/DC. Unless they also need the forced cooling from the MDM fan?

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
That is great news. I am surprised that some generous soul found a way to get them past that many regulations, customs and bureaucrats.

It will be grand that you have them in your hands. Now we are really going to start the steep part of the learning curve:)

·
Administrator
11,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Natalya. The DC-DC has nothing to do with CEL's or IMA lights or IGBT's..
The DC-DC is completely separate from the IMA drive side...
The only thing you may get if it isn't working/present is the red ign light IIRC.
That can be disabled so no problem.

The meanwell will probably be fine in the temperate UK without any extra cooling.
If it will fit I may well put mine down the left hand outside of the IPU case under the styrofoam. Quite a bit of wasted space outside the IPU down both sides of the case.

I'm going to take most stuff out of the IPU then start offering up bits and pieces to see what will fit where.. If you replaced the massive MDM blower with a high flow computer fan that would get you quite a bit of room and could be run more of the time.

·
Administrator
11,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cells haven't arrived yet, likely stuck in customs so going to be more £££££... :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is great news!!! Art Razumovsky, GreenTec Auto, graciously donated the LTO modules and wiring harness in recognition of Peter’s contributions to the Insight community. Peter’s continued research, having the LTO modules and wiring harness in hand, should prove valuable to all of us. I’m already planning my second LTO conversion and just waiting to see what Peter comes up with for his LTO conversion!

Rick Williams, Craters and Freighters, has helped me in the past, shipping a couple Lithium batteries over the pond, so I called upon Rick once again I felt an obligation to help make this happen to repay Peter for making my LTO conversion go so smoothly at InsightFest_2019.

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
Good work folks and thanks to the contributors and volunteers. This is the kind of stuff which makes the Insight community special.

·
Administrator
11,583 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
As Peter thought, it has to do with the declared value of the batteries. We are working from our end on getting these batteries unstuck. Hopefully we will know something by the end of the day!

·
Administrator
11,583 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
A new thread has been created:

·
Administrator
11,583 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
I am so looking forward to this thread!

Reactions: jime

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
Yeah, now we can hope for some real breakthroughs:)

·
Administrator
11,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First thoughts on pack locations.
I've borrowed Natalya's LTO pic to illustrate this first issue. ;)
Note I have matiz rear springs fitted..

Remember in the UK we drive on the left, so the driver's seat is on the right hand side in that picture.

I don't really want 4 blocks (80kg or so) directly behind me (110kg) on the right hand side of the car if i can avoid it.
The car would be seriously down on that right hand side with the above configuration.. (Out of balance maybe?)

I might be stuck with it but am considering moving things around.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts