Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
11,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
After a sensible suggestion I have modified the software slightly. ;)

This version displays the cell voltage to the nearest mv by omitting the period to save space on the 20x4 lcd.
Total battery voltage on the top line also has one extra decimal place of resolution.
The number in the top right is a byte loop counter so we can see it is doing something.

Remember resolution does not equal accuracy so the usual caveats apply.

·
Super Moderator
8,152 Posts
IMHO it's going to be a lot easier/cheaper to buy the tiny plug that plugs into the socket on the pcb itself rather than the one that goes into the pigtail.
Since everyone gets the pigtails with their LTO packs, it would seem relatively easy just to cut off the fancy waterproof 8 pin socket and solder the "harness" clip end of each wire. That way one would also get the benefit of the tight fitting grommet to cover.

·
Administrator
11,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Maybe cut the pigtails off once they have got the BMS ID numbers ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,152 Posts
It is a bit of a diversion, but something is bothering me which I think needs to be raised - that is the issue of Orion integration. Since there are at least 3 Orion systems in the hands of LTO converters I think that there is a logical path that would indicate that voltage reading might be better integrated with the Orion graphic user interface. Of course, the Orion is expensive, and not everyone will want to buy one, but the advantage is that it is a true BMS functionally and provides substantial balancing current to the cells.

The Orion user interface provides display of the cell voltages, in addition to a variety of set-up limits and safety limits. This data can be displayed, as needed, with a cheap Windows computer, and perhaps other devices.

Orion provides a small dash level monitor which shows the total pack SOC, and an fault alarm light whose function can be defined. Though the display of SOC is redundant with the OBDII C&C, the programmable fault indication is not. The Orion also provides a flag which can be use with the BCM interceptor to disable assist/regen if the battery limits, or perhaps cell limits, are exceeded. I realize that this all sounds good and that I haven't tried it, but I believe the functionality is resident.

True, installation of the Orion is a huge investment in wiring and installing tap wires, 13 wires per 12 cell subpack, but that must be done anyway if the Orion balancing functions are to be included. I don't know??? Help me sort this out:)

·
Administrator
11,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The Orion2 data can be displayed on the BCM Replacer screen alongside the LTO BMS data.
The BCM Replacer can utilise data from it's own tap sensors, the Orion2, and the LTO modules if desired.

I will support the Orion2 data into the BCM Replacer along the lines I have already outline in the BCM Replacer thread.
If people want to do a lot more with the Orion2 than that, then they will likely be on their own to a degree.
I'm no expert on it and haven't used one before. If i eventually get mine wired up then I will do some work on it.

It will be a significant investment in time effort to add pluggable Orion2 tap connectors for every cell.
I suggest start your own thread for the Orion2 system if you intend to install it in your own setup.

I'll also need a 96 cell Orion2 for my 4 LTO blocks.

I currently only have a 72 one, so if someone with less blocks wants to do a swap or order a 96 cell one then swap, that might be very useful. Cash to adjust either way of course.

·
Super Moderator
8,152 Posts
Thanks for the response and sorting. That puts it into a bit better perspective.

It will be a significant investment in time effort to add pluggable Orion2 tap connectors for every cell.
I suggest start your own thread for the Orion2 system if you intend to install it in your own setup.
True, big fabrication effort, and, yes - no more discussion of it here:)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Peter, this is an exciting project! I will be following.
How much power do you recon it will have for the car? And can the electric motor of the car handle the extra power with no problem?

Btw, if you need any light weight, non conductive composite parts for your build, do not hesitate to ask. I would be happy to help. You have my email.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Excellent Peter, that's a huge help, and adds a ton of value to the LTO packs. Even if we don't have an active BMS, having the system be able to warn us of an imbalance should greatly increase the safety factor.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts