Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly I am about to retire my 2000 Insight. I am going to store it and need some input on what to do to properly to store it long term. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Both of my Insights were stored for a few years. One was badly damaged by mice, still smells with the entire interior removed. The other one has a lot of rusty parts from a barn with a damp dirt floor. So I'd recommend dry and rodent-proof storage. Starting and driving it occasionally would be a good idea too, if possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly I am about to retire my 2000 Insight. I am going to store it and need some input on what to do to properly to store it long term. Any help would be appreciated.
At this point I don't know how long maybe a couple of years, or until I can bear to part with her. Do I need to do anything with the batteries? I don't think she has any value, has 215,000 miles. If anyone is interested I might sell.
Donutlady

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
IMO It's certainly worth more now than it will be after a few years storage..
As stated for proper storage it needs to be dry and secure from rodents.
12v battery should be removed.
Ideally it should be placed on blocks so it's not sitting on the tyres.

·
Registered
541 Posts
After a major change in my life
I stored my better one 3 years on tires in the garage 3/4 tank of premium ethanol free, fresh change of synthetic oil, fresh brake fluid as well
had the 12 volt out.

Only ran it once a year but my hybrid battery was shot on purchase so I didn’t have to worry about sitting much, 12 v died after a year anyway from sitting despite keeping on a battery doctor.

It’s my daily driver now, just had to put in a new $35 battery and freshen gas, I too would recommend blocks but the tires on the car still work and aren’t worth anything (not re92’s), no leaks

My guess is they will get trashed by winter when I trade out my snows
some mild weather checking on the front treads, I always kept them aired up though.

Modern cars will sit without too much hassle as long as they are in a garage.

To be honest I was quite surprised at how well it worked.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
If you have an owner's manual, there's a section in it that outlines procedures for storage. As I recall, it mentions the things others have mentioned above, plus a few small details, such as spraying rubber gaskets, such as the door gaskets, with some lubricant... I'd also recommend draining the IMA pack as much as possible, such as by driving and using assist before you park it. That should maximize chances that the batteries are evenly (dis)charged once you get back to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
eq1
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing