Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see anyone else have this issue while searching the forums, hopefully I'm not the only one.

So I just noticed that when I go from reverse to park and wait a moment the car will jerk backwards. It's not as noticeable if you keep your foot on the brakes, but if I put it into reverse then shift to park and let go of the brakes after about 1 second there will be a noticeable jerk backwards like it momentarily tried to go into reverse.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Since you are used to a manual, I will tell you how I habitually park. I learned to do this driving my heavy Odyssey, especially because my driveway is not dead level and I have a friend who lives in the hills and there it's critical.

When coming to a stop to park, either from drive or reverse, shift to N, set the parking brake, take your foot off the brakes and let the vehicle come to a rest on the parking brake. Then shift to park. It will come out of park like butter. Once you do it a few times, it comes naturally.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh, trust me it's nothing to do with my driving. From a stop I can hold the brake, shift to reverse, then shift to park where you feel the car disengages, pause for about 1 second, then you feel a decently strong jerk backwards as if it wanted to go back into reverse. I have never experienced this on any other car.

This only happens when you're in reverse then park. I'll take a video of it later today.

Edit: to further elaborate my surprise, at first I thought it had something to do with turn off the car, because when I would back into a space, put it into park, then turn off the car it would jerk backwards. That's how much delay there is between putting it into park and the shift.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Well, except you are shifting directly from Reverse to park. I am suggesting a shift to N and setting the parking brake before shifting to Park.

You really need to change that CVT fluid. I bet it was rarely if ever done. The Honda guy who designed that CVT said he would be changing the fluid every 16-18k. We did in fact change it during the second oil change and every second after that. I think the MID will show a sub-code 3 on the fourth oil change or somewhere around 30k.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh for sure, this Insight is our extra car for when the baby comes, so I am just going over it top to bottom to make it as nice as I can for my wife.

Let me know if this link works for you.

I also noticed if I keep trying to replicate while being stationary it stops jolting backwards.

I understand your advice to go to neutral first and I thank you for it. I just want make sure it's working right instead of telling my wife to do different procedures.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Changing the fluid and filters for sure helped, but still a little bit there. I did another fluid change a couple hundred miles later as well. I'll do another fluid change at the next oil change and see if there is any improvement. Overall still happy with the car, just wish I could get better MPG around town, still averaging 35mpg in stop and go traffic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts