Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see anyone else have this issue while searching the forums, hopefully I'm not the only one.

So I just noticed that when I go from reverse to park and wait a moment the car will jerk backwards. It's not as noticeable if you keep your foot on the brakes, but if I put it into reverse then shift to park and let go of the brakes after about 1 second there will be a noticeable jerk backwards like it momentarily tried to go into reverse.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Since you are used to a manual, I will tell you how I habitually park. I learned to do this driving my heavy Odyssey, especially because my driveway is not dead level and I have a friend who lives in the hills and there it's critical.

When coming to a stop to park, either from drive or reverse, shift to N, set the parking brake, take your foot off the brakes and let the vehicle come to a rest on the parking brake. Then shift to park. It will come out of park like butter. Once you do it a few times, it comes naturally.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh, trust me it's nothing to do with my driving. From a stop I can hold the brake, shift to reverse, then shift to park where you feel the car disengages, pause for about 1 second, then you feel a decently strong jerk backwards as if it wanted to go back into reverse. I have never experienced this on any other car.

This only happens when you're in reverse then park. I'll take a video of it later today.

Edit: to further elaborate my surprise, at first I thought it had something to do with turn off the car, because when I would back into a space, put it into park, then turn off the car it would jerk backwards. That's how much delay there is between putting it into park and the shift.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Well, except you are shifting directly from Reverse to park. I am suggesting a shift to N and setting the parking brake before shifting to Park.

You really need to change that CVT fluid. I bet it was rarely if ever done. The Honda guy who designed that CVT said he would be changing the fluid every 16-18k. We did in fact change it during the second oil change and every second after that. I think the MID will show a sub-code 3 on the fourth oil change or somewhere around 30k.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh for sure, this Insight is our extra car for when the baby comes, so I am just going over it top to bottom to make it as nice as I can for my wife.

Let me know if this link works for you.

I also noticed if I keep trying to replicate while being stationary it stops jolting backwards.

I understand your advice to go to neutral first and I thank you for it. I just want make sure it's working right instead of telling my wife to do different procedures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
Sigma Projects
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing