Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Anyone else disagree with this review? You really have to try hard to mess up MPG that bad.
Given his description of the test circuit, not at all.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anyone else disagree with this review? You really have to try hard to mess up MPG that bad.
Yeah, the MPG was pretty low... can't be normal for most people.

I don't like how they say/imply the extra cost of the Insight over the Civic is what you're paying for the higher MPG. The Insight has a lot going for it over the Civic besides just the MPG... like better looks and electric car responsiveness.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I recognized the road. It drops from the peaks of the Santa Monica mountains, I think around a 2000' vertical drop to the beach. Pretty steep in places, so you are going to be burning brakes in spots. So the battery will be full in the first two miles and then it's all lost as heat in the brakes. I could not find the rest of the route, but it looks like he drives along Pacific Coast Highway for a while and then maybe back to the 101, which is a gradual climb back up again, burning gas to recharge the battery on the steeper uphills. A great drive, but ugh. Not going to give you realistic mileage by any stretch of the imagination (unless the vehicle under test is all electric or all gas or has a huge hybrid battery.)

It's a great drive for checking out the car's handling, though, from windy back roads to steep climbs and descents to freeways. What a gig!

Someone from LA should drive a similar loop with a G1 and report back the mileage: take the 101 to 23 west and climb to Mulholland and then descend down to Neptune's Net, grab some lunch there, then head north on PCH to Oxnard, and take the 101 south again. It probably would be great to compare performance of a stock Insight against someone driving with MIMA and other mods described here (arrive at peak with empty battery etc.)

If the Insight had a battery capable of providing assist for 2000' of elevation change, the story would be different. His report is helpful for those few who commute daily between, say, Big Bear and San Bernardino, for which all-electric would probably be necessary, but he doesn't offer that disclaimer.

edit: the G1 would be really fun on this route but you'd be staying at 4-5000 RPM in first and second gear in those hills! I would definitely want an "instant boost" switch when pulling out of a curve! has someone built that?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sean appears to have nailed it

Sean, if you read all the replies to that review you saw it got pretty nasty as it devolved into name calling. I just don't believe people write blatantly false reviews. I was trying to figure out how there could be two groups with such different mpg. Then, I noticed the mountainous terrain, and somewhere I saw a shot of the Insight instrument cluster showing an outside temperature reading of 110 F. No wonder that reviewer was getting 36 mpg while someone driving around Atlanta was averaging over 50. It all makes sense, and you confirmed it. Thank you for that. Just demonstrates that hybrids are not well suited for very hot, hilly areas.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Sean, if you read all the replies to that review you saw it got pretty nasty as it devolved into name calling. I just don't believe people write blatantly false reviews. I was trying to figure out how there could be two groups with such different mpg. Then, I noticed the mountainous terrain, and somewhere I saw a shot of the Insight instrument cluster showing an outside temperature reading of 110 F. No wonder that reviewer was getting 36 mpg while someone driving around Atlanta was averaging over 50. It all makes sense, and you confirmed it. Thank you for that. Just demonstrates that hybrids are not well suited for very hot, hilly areas.
Disagree. They still outperform ICE-only substantially in almost all scenarios.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would disagree as well. I consistently drive mines through the 405, 134, 210, and Coldwater canyon for work. Lots of elevation changes, and I've got this Insight in July when it came out, so I've seen it in hot, hilly areas. I've never dipped under 50 mpg and Los Angeles makes you drive aggressively, 'less you want to lose your spot in traffic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts