Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't driven our 2010 for a long time but the ride is still unbearable. We hoped for the shocks to get softer. No way. It crashes over the road harsher than a Civic Type R in Type R mode.

Is it sufficient to change the shocks only?
Anyone tried KYB over OEM?
What is the final part no. of the OEM shock that offers the most comfortable ride?

Shocks are some serious money, so I'm looking for a final solution. Otherwise we're going to sell it sooner or later.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Long story short.

I've ordered KYB for the rear from RockAuto for a few $$ and we'll see if they offer a more comfortable ride over OEM. If yes we're going to change the front ones too.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do by the beginning of Dec.

KYB is said to produce shocks for Toyota and Nissan (and maybe Honda too). Still hope the OEM shocks are from a bad batch and KYB has a revised version which offers much better comfort like the later versions of Honda -305 or -408. KYB Excel-G shocks are about 15 % stiffer. The problem of the OEM shocks is the lowspeed range being to bloody stiff. So I hope the KYB solve that. $100 and 1/2 hour later I'll know for sure.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I haven't driven our 2010 for a long time but the ride is still unbearable. We hoped for the shocks to get softer. No way. It crashes over the road harsher than a Civic Type R in Type R mode.

Is it sufficient to change the shocks only?
Anyone tried KYB over OEM?
What is the final part no. of the OEM shock that offers the most comfortable ride?

Shocks are some serious money, so I'm looking for a final solution. Otherwise we're going to sell it sooner or later.
I've a 2012 insight and compared to my old 2010 one it's noticeably better at going over bumps/ ramps and uneven roads not perfect but a wee bit better

·
Registered
10 Posts
What is the OEM part No and the KYB part No?

It looks that my front suspension is somehow harsh/make noises over small bumps and the shock absorbers might be the reason.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
KYB part no. can be found here:
2010-2014 have identical part no.

My guess is or I've heard that Honda sends out a revised version with a different part no. which ends with -305 or -408. From what I've heard here and there people rate them much softer or much more comfortable. Some people think Honda sent the wrong parts but the parts department says they are substitutes or the old no. are superseeded even though you can't see it in the part catalog. A lot of comfusion...

KYB states:
Ride Comfort may be important, but restoring a vehicles Ride Control; stability, stopping, lane change responsiveness and handling is critical. KYB Excel-G Shocks & Struts are designed for the most important performance purpose: Restoring the vehicles original capabilities.
From that only you can't expect them to be softer or offering a more comfortable ride. But they offer no other product line for the Insight. Let's see...

·
Registered
328 Posts
What is the OEM part No and the KYB part No?

It looks that my front suspension is somehow harsh/make noises over small bumps and the shock absorbers might be the reason.
Having driven in Ro over n back from Big Ireland for 10 + years up to2004 you'd need tractor springs for your roads👍( know it's changed but wow potholes as big as small swimming pools in places back in the day,Brasov,Fagaras,iasi)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Having driven in Ro over n back from Big Ireland for 10 + years up to2004 you'd need tractor springs for your roads👍( know it's changed but wow potholes as big as small swimming pools in places back in the day,Brasov,Fagaras,iasi)
The roads are much better now. And in Bucharest where I use the Insight the roads are very good (at least in my zone).

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update.
I've mounted the KYB shocks today. No gains in ride quality, the car still jitters on rough pavement as before.

Some observations:
  • the OEM shocks were still good after 10 years and 80k miles.
  • the KYB shock valving seems to be comparable to the OEM ones the car came with. The OEM shocks can be compressed a tad faster but not significantly. So no gains to be expected. The KYB prevent the rear in compressing too much but still the springs are releasing the stored energy at a high rate.
  • with no shocks on the car and a simple resonance/frequency test showed a high frequency of resonance comparable to a race car, not a sedan.
Conclusion:
  • So the bloddy high spring rates are the culprit. I'm looking for new/used ones but only order them when it's sure that the spring rate is definitely lower.
  • No Honda anymore for me if Toyota offers a similar vehicle. My patience is over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts