Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Yeah, I wish I had a garage, is have already bought one of these cheapo used electrics...

Gas prices are low and people's​ brains are too tiny to hold the info about when they go up for more than a couple months at a time.

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wish we had such nice prices in Canada :(
Depreciation is a double edged sword: It hurts when you are the seller.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Depreciation is a double edged sword: It hurts when you are the seller.
Fortunately, most EV's seem to be leased in the U.S. because many manufacturers have set the residual values to be unrealistically high to drive down lease payments. This, plus the fact that battery technology is improving so rapidly that EV drivers who would like more range don't want to be stuck owning older technology. So the "losers" tend to be the manufacturers' leasing companies, but the CARB credits that manufacturers earn with each EV leased offsets their eventual losses when they have to auction lease returns. So overall, the buyers of used EV's are the winners with few actual losers (well, taxpayers, but having more EV's on the road benefits everyone).

·
Registered
850 Posts
I've seen 45k mile 500e locally under $5k, which I think has been sold. For whatever reason, fortwo EV costs more here locally, higher than 500e. SF parking desirability? I know I wouldn't mind having one just for that. The other day my Insight *barely* squeezed into an SF spot that might have fit 2 fortwo perpendicularly. But apparently perpendicular parking is illegal in most jurisdictions. Only certain places in certain countries (Norway?) have made it officially legal.

I suppose govt gets less taxes with consumer EV credits. But I don't think manufactures' carbon credit offset hits tax payer pockets in any way. I suppose in theory the losses from EVs would cause prices for ICE vehicles to rise a bit on average, but there seems to be too much price pressure from competition, and any price increase is but an imperceptible rounding error.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts