Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this may not be common knowledge, I'll give it a mention.

Everybody knows on the 5-speed Insight, autostop shuts the engine down at intersections (engine warm, A/C off or in economy mode).

What everbody may not know is at the intersection, you can go ahead and press the clutch about half way down, just enough to engage the 1st gear. When the light turns green, just press the clutch all the way down and go.

Anyone else do this?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I get autostop independent of clutch position, whether fully depressed, partially depressed, or no foot on the pedal at all. I use the clutch a lot to keep the car in autostop when I don't want to have my foot on the brake (like if I'm coasting in slow traffic).

As soon as I put the car into gear, autostop ends and the car starts.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you. Could you be more specific about the steps you are taking to perform this trick and what the benefits/effects are?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Stopped at traffic light
2. Stick is in neutral.
3. Press the clutch just halfway to engage 1st gear without starting engine.
4. Hold clutch halfway until ready to move.
5. At green light, press clutch all the way, release, press accelerator.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Or just before you come to a complete stop change to neutral, then just when you come to a complete stop (whithin 2 seconds) put it in gear without the clutch, Stopped of course, you don't have to depress the clutch, it is good on a small hill, so you don't have to have your foot on the brake, as soon as the light turns green, just push the clutch pedal and give it gas, no need to bother putting it in gear. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
It took me a little while to catch on to what seemed a random auto stop. I, like an early reviewer from AutoWeek said that he didn't know what to expect at any one stop -- that was his only negative thought (other than it would not perform like a Cobra) and he gave the car a less than ok rating.

I can shift gears (without engine starting), when stopped (auto stop available) to any gear, in and out, so long as I don't have the clutch fully depressed. At other times the car will autostop when in gear but clutch depressed, but well after I have been sitting at the light. I routinely know that if I don't get acceleration when I step on the gas, all I need to do is touch the clutch all the way to the floor.

It is not a bi-polar decision when the car will auto stop. It depends on what you are doing now, and what you just did. I guess I fiddle with the shifter and the clutch if I am thinking of something else while waiting for the rest of the traffic to get off my road so I can move on. There were early times when I would get honked at as I tried to figure out the launch mode.

I find it no problem, now. It took a few times of being stalled in traffic trying to get the car started. The car WILL NOT start by just turning off the ingition and doing a normal start. The clutch has to go all the way down.

The initial problem was caused by the rug creeping down and keeping the clutch from going all the way in with normal pressure. Once that was discovered the rest fell into place.

I was going to mention this to mechanics to see if it is aberant behaviour (on the Insights perspective) when I go in for my/our first checkup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts