Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the forum and had a couple questions about rims and body modifications. I have read in another thread that the 205/40-17 would rub in the front, is it possible to roll the fender so this does not happen. As for the rear, I would just cut the flaps/skirts. How much would the weight affect the MPG? I am looking at these rims:
http://www.1010tires.com//images/wheels ... nlarge.jpg
and they weigh in at a whopping 14 lbs for a 17 x 7 rim (Motegi Trak Lite)!!!

I basically want to go with this look:
http://www.honda-club-ems-jade.de/Honda ... CRX_3g.jpg

I would also want to add tints, cruise control, aftermarket shifter knob and aftermarket flush mount turns signals (see pic below), or turn signal mirrors, arm rest (I don't like how the husco one looks though, will have to look around for a nicer one, like the ones off an early civic or sumthin, bc they had the e-brake in the center of the console as well, as opposed to more toward the driver), and warm air intake. If possible a clear corner mod too.

http://www.cyclegear.com/images/motrax% ... 10x168.jpg

I would have a great looking ride, and get great mileage. . . what a combo!! Tell me what you guys think, or am I trying to do something not do-able, and please don't tell me "if you have enough money you can do anything . . . blah blah blah", I just want to know if its feasible.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It's not a sport's car, a luxury car or a super car. Why spend so much time and money into exterior mods for a car that was done right the first time by Honda?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Resist said:
It's not a sport's car, a luxury car or a super car. Why spend so much time and money into exterior mods for a car that was done right the first time by Honda?
Ya ure right, maybe we should just close down the mods forum bc u shouldnt mess with perfection. . .. (heavy sarcasm if u didnt note it)

·
Registered
466 Posts
sounds good to me, except for the wheels. i would get something that will fit with the skirts on. and something more aerodynamic. dont need to pick up a lot of drag just for looks. i want to get some flush turn sigs too. also might put some LEDs in the mirror housings.

have fun!

andy g.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HafNHaf said:
sounds good to me, except for the wheels. i would get something that will fit with the skirts on. and something more aerodynamic. dont need to pick up a lot of drag just for looks. i want to get some flush turn sigs too. also might put some LEDs in the mirror housings.

have fun!

andy g.
To each his own, but man i can't stand how those skirts look.

Resist said:
Sounds good to me.
Umm. . . ya, well. . . dammit cant think of a smartass reply for that one.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Don't worry about those fuel economy nerds.
Even with all those changes you envision the car would use less fuel then a Toyota Prius, while looking and handling way better
:twisted:

17" rims are too big for Civics let alone Insights :roll:

I use these 14" x 6" Kosei T1S racing rims that only weigh 9.5 lbs each.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Disp...i&wheelModel=K1+TS&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted

If you want to look better maybe go to a 15" rim but any bigger than that and acceleration will suffer noticeably.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Besides all the comments about MPGs and looks.... I believe something
has been overlooked in the question so far...Usually rolling fenders
involes bending the "metal" upwards into the wheel housing. However,
the Insight fender is plastic so it would have to cut or heat molded. If
done incorrectly, these mods will destroy the looks...The very looks that
you are trying to improve upon....How ironic... Just kidding on the last
statement but I would go for a 14 or 15 with a slightly wider tire. If the
rear splat can be cut to look like the front (perhaps slightly smaller) then
that might be worth a shot...True, it will affect areodynamics but only by
a small margin...Look at how many people in this forum put on non-OEM
tires for handling and comfort and willing to accept the MPG loss...

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
To each his own, but man i can't stand how those skirts look.
Then why did you get an Insight? The car was designed for fuel mileage and low emisions. The skirts were designed to assist with this goal.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The skirts are cool.

I like of modded cars, and the Insight is a great opportunity. Personally I'd go for mods that help fuel economy, but it's your car, so do what you want. If you find an exhaust that sounds good, post a pointer!

There are probably some good aero opportunities: A deep front air dam and some really low side skirts might help. I'd steer clear of wings, as the overall body design (Kamm tail) is pretty unbeatable for low drag and stability.

Some people take off the rear wiper. You could also remove the antenna and use an in-glass one instead. Or a satellite antenna.

Another possibility would be fairings around the tires, that reach down to the ground, like in that little mini-sausage car.

A good body shop could probably chop the body and take out a good 3-4 inches of height--there's plenty of interior headroom. This could potentially give a useful economy improvement and make the car look better at the same time.

Rear lights, obviously...

You might also think about skinny tires. The stock 165s are pretty narrow, but there's a 155 width 14" inch version of the Goodyear GT3 that might improve your mileage--and look "ecological." Alternatively you might try a 195R15 GT3 and hope not to suffer too much in economy loss.
http://eu.goodyear.com/home_en/tires/re ... /index.jsp

But, the skirts are cool. I'd keep them... 8)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dougie said:
The skirts are cool.

I like of modded cars, and the Insight is a great opportunity. Personally I'd go for mods that help fuel economy, but it's your car, so do what you want. If you find an exhaust that sounds good, post a pointer!

There are probably some good aero opportunities: A deep front air dam and some really low side skirts might help. I'd steer clear of wings, as the overall body design (Kamm tail) is pretty unbeatable for low drag and stability.

Some people take off the rear wiper. You could also remove the antenna and use an in-glass one instead. Or a satellite antenna.

Another possibility would be fairings around the tires, that reach down to the ground, like in that little mini-sausage car.

A good body shop could probably chop the body and take out a good 3-4 inches of height--there's plenty of interior headroom. This could potentially give a useful economy improvement and make the car look better at the same time.

Rear lights, obviously...

You might also think about skinny tires. The stock 165s are pretty narrow, but there's a 155 width 14" inch version of the Goodyear GT3 that might improve your mileage--and look "ecological." Alternatively you might try a 195R15 GT3 and hope not to suffer too much in economy loss.
http://eu.goodyear.com/home_en/tires/re ... /index.jsp

But, the skirts are cool. I'd keep them... 8)
Ya, antenna definately has to go, and don't get me started on those riducolous wings, chopping the body would be too much work, but if I did, I would definately extend the rear windows. As for rear lights, any ideas?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I don't like loud exhausts, if anything i would weld a titanium tip to the end, that way it would be nice and quiet and still have the "ricer" look.

Edit 2: As for 16" rims not fitting, check out BlueInsight1701's Insight (with 16" rims):

http://members.cox.net/j3cub1/new_wheels.jpg

ahem. . . i mean cmon, you don't think they would fit in here (pic courtesy of guillermo):

http://www.insightracing.ca/gallery/alb ... .sized.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Sure those rims with tires fit at least vertically because the overall
diameter is nearly the same...Goto http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html
and enter 165-65-14 for the original size then 205-40-16 for BlueInsight1701 tire size.
His speedometer would still read the same.

However, the width of his tire should be very close to rubbing in the
back bottom corner...The more oversize the tire is, the closer you are
to rubbing in that area because the rear of the car tapers inward.

I'm using 185-70-13 front and back (slightly taller and wider than OEM)
and I can get one finger between the rear splat. If your rim offset
makes it stick out too far you will get rubbing....

Vertically your tire size is .3 inches taller than mine so it should still fit.
However, the width would be the big question....

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Hi Farhan, I like your enthusiasm - however there were too many pictures oversize in your posts so I have had to edit them to links. Please note Forum rules on picture sizes. Thanks and good luck with your mods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
joecvt said:
Sure those rims with tires fit at least vertically because the overall
diameter is nearly the same...Goto http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html
and enter 165-65-14 for the original size then 205-40-16 for BlueInsight1701 tire size.
His speedometer would still read the same.

However, the width of his tire should be very close to rubbing in the
back bottom corner...The more oversize the tire is, the closer you are
to rubbing in that area because the rear of the car tapers inward.

I'm using 185-70-13 front and back (slightly taller and wider than OEM)
and I can get one finger between the rear splat. If your rim offset
makes it stick out too far you will get rubbing....

Vertically your tire size is .3 inches taller than mine so it should still fit.
However, the width would be the big question....
Guillermo ran 235/45-13 tires on his Insight, but had to remove the rear skirts, an said they didn't rub, so looks like there is room to play with.

http://www.insightracing.ca/gallery/TLMC/IMG_8087

P.S. sorry about all the big pics, hope this is better.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Farhan said:
Guillermo ran 235/45-13 tires on his Insight, but had to remove the rear skirts, an said they didn't rub, so looks like there is room to play with.

Keep in mind that 235/45R13 tires have a diameter that is 1.5" smaller so it physically drops the Insight by 0.75".
The tires stick out the sides front and rear, the only reason they don't run the front fender is because the diameter of the tire is so small and the suspension does not compress enough to touch. But i've seen action photos that confirm it comes very close to rubbing.

There are many factors that determine if a wheel and tires combo will fit.
rim width and offset,
tire width and diameter.

Post the rim and tires specs and I can help you determine if it might or might not fit. I have experience trying difference rims and tires on my car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guillermo said:
Farhan said:

Keep in mind that 235/45R13 tires have a diameter that is 1.5" smaller so it physically drops the Insight by 0.75".
The tires stick out the sides front and rear, the only reason they don't run the front fender is because the diameter of the tire is so small and the suspension does not compress enough to touch. But i've seen action photos that confirm it comes very close to rubbing.

There are many factors that determine if a wheel and tires combo will fit.
rim width and offset,
tire width and diameter.

Post the rim and tires specs and I can help you determine if it might or might not fit. I have experience trying difference rims and tires on my car.
Here's the wheel
and the tire is a 205/40-17
Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The bolt pattern of the wheel you want is 4/114.3 so it will not work. The bolt pattern of Insights and Civics is 4/100.

The diameter of a 205/40R17 tire is 1.1 inches more then OEM.
Therefore it will physically raise the car by 0.5"
It may fit within the rear spat if the rim offset if 45 or 42 mm but some trimming may be required. But it will most likely rub the top of the front fender and the inside when turning all the way. It may also rub the top of the rear fender when suspension compresses.

I would say you have a 10% chance of making that tire fit without rubbing anywhere in full turns and suspension travel movement.

All show and no go.

Try again,
what's your next choice?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry the correct link is here, but like you said, they aren't gonna fit anyway, maybe some 16's, can't find any lightweights tho, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts