Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, on my recent trip to the states I had a complete IMA Failure twice, both lasting around 15-20 minutes while traveling through the mountains of tennesse at 85mph with big transport trucks behind me. it was like a recal but the batteries would NOT charge at all, even after trying to turn off the car, and even trying to force charge it by reving it really high on the side of the road.

I took it to the dealer yesterday and of course, since there is no code from the IMA, they say noothhiing is wrong with it.. they did get a code from the engine sayying i have a faulty imap sensor which i have no idea what that is but will be replaced under warrenty.

I am really concerned about the IMA Failure though, I feel it is a risk to my personal saftey more then anything else, and the fact that they cant diagnose this car without an error code bothers me even more

·
Registered
344 Posts
Do you have any more detail about conditions up to the failure?
If you had total failure, was it after a lot of IMA use going up the"hills"?
There is is temperature limit that will slow and maybe stop charging or IMA assist when the maximum battery module temperature is reached.
I only have a temp monitor in the air duct under the hatch. Yesterday afternoon with the heat index at 100° and I had been using IMA going to work, I experienced a recal and then it would only charge at a constant 4 bars. This included going downhill with light brake pressure. The monitor indicated 117° in the duct.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i dont believe it was heat related , I was driving at night and it was cool outside. The problem is i had NO charge what so ever, and the guage was stuck with zero. In another post, starting a few months back i have been hearing an odd sound from the batteries every once in a while, that would be the only related thing i can think of. But it definitly wasnt a recall

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I would try resetting the system if nothing else. I think I recall someone saying turning the key on - off - on - off - on really quickly once tricked theirs in to working again. Not sure if that would work, but you could always disconnect the 12 volt battery for a few minutes and see if it helps anything.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I don't quite see the connection between an IMA failure and "risking your life." Are you implying that having lesser acceleration put your life in danger? That sounds almost like those SUV commercials that list a 260 horsepower engine as a "safety feature."

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree with Foxpaw, especially if you consider that you can downshift to gain power. Until you are redlining it in 2nd or 3rd gear, don't complain that there isn't enough power.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Getshocked wrote:
[/quote]while traveling through the mountains of tennesse at 85mph with big transport trucks behind me
Piece of advice, move over, let the big transport truck pass you, then get behind.

even at 85mph it will help increase your mileage. :wink:

·
Registered
344 Posts
On the passenger side, in front of the center console.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Joeatslo said:
where's the plug in the car to get IMA error codes?
If there is no IMA dash light, then there will be no stored IMA code. Also, If you loose the 12V battery power (or fuse 18 ) any stored codes will be lost. (and the dash light will be off.)

Check the following. 1) That your 12V battery is OK. 2) Make sure the duct for battery cooling is not blocked. 3) check for blown fuses.

If those are ok, then reset (disconnect the 12V battery or pull fuse 18 for 10 secs) to force a recal.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
MAP = Manifold Absolulte Pressure sensor. The primary load sensor for the engine.

Could be the cause of your lack of IMA, but not the case of an "empty" battery gauge.

For once, I agree with Getshocked.ca. An Insight without IMA assist is a road hazzard.

·
Registered
65 Posts
the OBD ii interface allows us to read IMA code? I didn't think/know that was possible.

Is there special software and/or codes for Insights or something?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I use OBDII software for a laptop from: http://www.obd-2.com

You can monitor the systems, read and clear trouble codes. It also give the basic explanation of the the code. It will record all the system's data for the trip and you can view it later also. It will link to GPS software too.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Re: Risk your life, drive an insight. Faulty Imap sensor a

Getshocked.ca said:
I am really concerned about the IMA Failure though, I feel it is a risk to my personal saftey more then anything else
Huh? I also don't see where your personal safety is in jeopardy. The car is fine without motor assist, we drive it that way most of the time as that is how we get the great gas mileage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts