Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only started driving an Insight, 2nd Gen, since January of this year.

I got a used 2010 Insight and ever since, I have noticed something unusual.

I get more people on the road beeping at me, passing me with anger, giving me the finger, tailgating me, beeping at me, not waiting for me at lights and stop signs although it is my turn, etc...

I noticed that with my old car (Honda FIT), this did not happen as much at all.

I am starting to think that there is a stigma and people have a negative assumption that just because it is a hybrid, they assume it is slow and owner will drive super slow.

Do you guys agree, anyone experience similar situations?

·
Registered
554 Posts
The Physciatric Society claims that a record 50% of Americans are crazy enough that they should be medicated.

My experience has been as my average driving speed has increase over the last 5 years the number of near misses (rear ended on the highway)
Has gone up massively.

People seem to be incapacitated and unable to see in front of them on an empty highway, they also appear to be incapable of turning the steering wheel.
They also seem to believe 20 over the limit is a good idea.

As our state has raised speed limits highway deaths this year compared to last have gone up 35%

So no your not crazy, police need to start enforcing the law aggressive on the highway and removing those who don't belong

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
even when i am going speed limit or a little above, I get harassed by cars behind me and cut off and beeped at.

Where I live in Montreal, Police now has quotas for tickets and sadly, they mostly only go out and stop people when they need to reach their quotas or make more money for the government. It is now a question of money vs safety.

I always try to go out of the way of people who want to go very fast but when they start beeping at me and harassing me, it becomes annoying and insulting, specially considering, I am not even going that slow and I am not even on the left fast lane...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Well, I guess the currently ascendant jerk pride movement is in Canada as well. But we have it's standard-bearer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Same thing with me and my G1. Rage rage rage. If I drive the dually Ram pickup, whole different story.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to hear that I am not the only one.
Just because we drive a Hybrid, does not mean we are slow and bad drivers, hope more people would understand this.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Glad to hear that I am not the only one.
Just because we drive a Hybrid, does not mean we are slow and bad drivers, hope more people would understand this.

I drove the full 105mph and was still passed by 2 cars, I learned long ago to ignore the brutes an so drive legally, there is always someone driving faster so no sense trying to cater

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I drive a first gen and while there may be less general respect since it's a small car, that transparent lower half of the rear window makes everyone seem that much closer. Plus it doesn't look like a beater, most people know not to try anything against a beat up car like my neon was.

I also like to think that people are either pacing or following close to get a better look at it. I still get people approaching me at gas stations and parking lots, adults and kids alike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One thing to watch out for is the Insight will slow down pretty quickly without hitting the brakes. You may want to tap the brake once or twice to warn cars behind you.

Next, keep up with traffic in your lane and keep right except to pass. People seem to have especially low tolerance for cars leaving gaps in the fast lane.

You may want to try setting the cruise control. Don't use aggressive techniques for saving gas when other cars are around.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I found if you pull off the right and left turn lanes and let them pass you that works well. I do this all the time. Whats interesting is that as fast as they go, I always seem to catch up to them sitting at a light and just keep smiling. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
A technique I have found useful is useing the flashers a bit. If you give the heavy trucks a couple of flashes when they are 300-400 yards back, they have time to pick their slot for a lane change and don't get nearly as irritated. Other vehicles will see the flashers and adapt also. After trying this, I get very few honks.

Obviously, drive the right lane if you aren't flying low like the fast lane does.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
^ +1 on Jime's comments. I hypermile in my G1's as a routine and blink the flashers early to allow folk a chance to grab a spot in the passing lane. With the friendly short-toots of the horn or the flash of the truck's trailer lights, it seems folk appreciate the heads up. If traffic is heavy, I go with the flow, no angry results.

I can count on one hand how many angry honks I've had.

Wonder if the rage thing is a regional issue ?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I figure the narrow spacing of the tail lights relative to other vehicles on the road here at least at night contributes strongly. [AB is Trucks & SUV-land with the ruts to prove it.] The smaller spacing apart of the tail lights may make an Insight apparently seem a bit less than half again farther away upon approach of an inattentive driver. That may explain why some drivers loom up large so fast from the rear,...maybe not so much out of a 'kill the odd ape' rage but inattentiveness.
I think some defensive driving tips taken by motorcycle drivers would be apt for a small car like the Insight. ie. Lane position. and Lights ^^^^ +1

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
You could always you know.... Keep up with traffic and not be a menace to everyone around you...

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
You could always you know.... Keep up with traffic and not be a menace to everyone around you...
I think the points being made reflect that the Insight driver is not ostensively contributing to the problem, that rather it is the reaction of others to a small hybrid vehicle. And yes I admit, there are the haters out there.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Yes, I agree there are haters out there, however, ever since I started keeping up with traffic and not being a douche canoe, I haven't had a single road rage incident, and I live in SoCal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reasons for honking

A large truck tailgated me and honked on a German autobahn recently, even though I was in the slow lane waiting to exit the autobahn into a service station, and was already stuck behind a slow-moving truck.

My initial thought was that the trucker disliked hybrid drivers, but it just occurred to me it might have nothing to do with that. Perhaps it was the fact that I had a British licence plate and the trucker was p***ed about Brexit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts