Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just got my 2012 insight and went on my first road trip.

The journey was about 400 km one way, with 3 adults and 1 child, luggage, aircon all the way (cos we drive in hot climate), I am truly impressed with the consumption
- Econ mode : on (switched off temporarily during overtaking)
- 80-90% highway, some uphills, some areas had heavy Jams lots of stop and go traffic
- overall consumption was 48.7mpg (us),
After we finished 1-way there was still approximately less than half tank left.

Journey: in my opinion was pleasant and comfortable, even the back seat was fine. However it'd be crammed if we traveled with 5 people.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hi I just got my 2012 insight and went on my first road trip.

The journey was about 400 km one way, with 3 adults and 1 child, luggage, aircon all the way (cos we drive in hot climate), I am truly impressed with the consumption
- Econ mode : on (switched off temporarily during overtaking)
- 80-90% highway, some uphills, some areas had heavy Jams lots of stop and go traffic
- overall consumption was 48.7mpg (us),
After we finished 1-way there was still approximately less than half tank left.

Journey: in my opinion was pleasant and comfortable, even the back seat was fine. However it'd be crammed if we traveled with 5 people.
Would be interesting to know where this journey took place. Great MPG with load and a/c on highway.

We took a small trip to scout a bicycle route for an event coming up this weekend. Spent about 4-5 hours in hills and towns at speed limits that ranged from 25 mph to 55 mph and then some highway at 65. Weather was cloudy and it rained quite a bit with temperatures in the lower 70s.

Started the trip with about a half tank of fuel. We eventually stopped for gas, but not at the same gas station where I filled up and actually filled the car a bit beyond the auto cut off, so I got about a full gallon more than I probably should have. Measured mileage tank to tank ended up 52.6 MPG.

Even though we still have only have about 1500 miles on this car and still breaking in, it gets great Prius equaling MPG for far less money. And it's definitely a comfortable car with decent road manners.

Good to hear that someone else enjoys this car's nearly secret qualities.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Started the trip with about a half tank of fuel. We eventually stopped for gas, but not at the same gas station where I filled up and actually filled the car a bit beyond the auto cut off, so I got about a full gallon more than I probably should have. Measured mileage tank to tank ended up 52.6 MPG.
I think of this as a "false low" mpg reading, because the actual gas used was slightly less than the amount pumped in. Chances are the next fillup will be a "false high" as you pump in slightly less gas than was actually used.

If one were to make a graph of the fillup mpg based on gallons pumped, one might see a sawtooth pattern in the graph, ..as these false highs and lows balance out over time. (To illistrate see my Fuelly mpg graph at http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/insight/2010/moviemike/22403 )

I think that the source of this kind of error has to do, not so much with the accuracy of the pump mechanism, but more with subtles like a slight incline or decline of the car while pumping, differing placement of the gas pump nozzle in the tank, differing auto shut-off positions of the nozzle, differing "top off" levels of gas and etc. These things become more obvious here in Oregon because self service is not allowed, and each attendent does those things a little differently.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
My best gauge is the miles traveled at the half tank mark. You should see 200 miles minimum, 300 miles is excellent. Not bad.

·
Registered
831 Posts
A lot can go wrong even when trying hard to get accurate MPG readings. Inclination of car, pump calibration, temperature of fuel supply tank and even ambient air temperature can make a mess of the process.

That's why I will try to get some tank to tank measurements at same pump when possible. Looks like it will be a long term proposition, unless I start driving more. Doing quite a bit of biking, so not driving as much as I normally do. We've had really nice weather around here for a change late this Spring and now into early Summer. We have to use up any kind of good weather thoroughly when we happen to get it!

·
Registered
605 Posts
A lot can go wrong even when trying hard to get accurate MPG readings. Inclination of car, pump calibration, temperature of fuel supply tank and even ambient air temperature can make a mess of the process.
How true! but some of these sources of mpg calculation error could be relatively small, perhaps made smaller with small behavior changes or attention to detail?

For example, I used to live in Las Vegas. Summer temps. Often varied from a high of 115 to a chilly 75 over night. Buying gas first thing in the morning, the coolest time of day, was a difference that made a barely noticeable difference, in getting more fluid and less vapor into the gas tank. Here in Oregon the temperature usually swings less than 10 degrees over night.
For car inclination I've taken to looking at the various pumps at " strange" gas stations, and selecting one that is most level.
For pump calibration State govt does a good thing of periodicly checking and certifying the gas pumps. Each pump is supposed to have a sticker on it giving the date of certification. Some station owners don't like it, well too bad, certification is I think is a proper role of govt. ..So basically I don't worry about pump calibration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts