Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Rostra Cruise Control Kit that works for the 2010 Insight Model, work in the 2011 Model? I have the 2011 Base model so it didn't come standard like the LX and EX.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING BELOW...

Messing with this is a potential safety issue and should be installed by a pro. If you have any doubt in your ability to do this perfectly, then don't. I am relaying info, that is all.

That said, I decided to dig into this more.. I looked on Rostra's website Rostra Precision Controls | Aftermarket Cruise Control Home and they have part number 250-1859 listed as for Honda Insight 2011. Additionally the manual for it is available here: http://www.rostra.com/manuals/250-1859_Form5231C.pdf

I emailed their eastern customer service rep and this is what she said:

The Honda Insight any model use 250-1859 on the 2009,2010 or 2011.

Thank you

Most of what I have found online the kit goes for ~$300 US.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I will revive an old tread with a question.

I have read somewhere on the forums, someone making a statement that the OEM cruise control is plug and play, he clarified that you basically just plug in the OEM switches on the steering wheel and you are good to go...

Is that a true or false statement ?

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will revive an old tread with a question.

I have read somewhere on the forums, someone making a statement that the OEM cruise control is plug and play, he clarified that you basically just plug in the OEM switches on the steering wheel and you are good to go...

Is that a true or false statement ?

Thanks
I would really like to know that as well.. The base model seems to have a different wiring harness though, at least in part. The radio plugs are Honda Civic plugs (as I discovered after purchasing the Insight connectors - Crutchfield helped me out btw so props to them...)

I have heard that on a Prius you can just plug in to the harness with the switches and it will work. I have not heard that on the Insight... If you can, I would really like to know.. 30k miles on mine in less than a year would have been easier with cruise.. ;-)

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would call the dealer and ask that question. They would know if it could be done and if software would be needed or not. I'd be concerned with aftermarket stuff like that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would call the dealer and ask that question. They would know if it could be done and if software would be needed or not. I'd be concerned with aftermarket stuff like that.
Agreed...

I went ahead and ordered the switch this morning, it is worth a shot...

I will keep you guys posted

·
Registered
15 Posts
I asked them shortly after I got the car and they said it wasn't an option on the base model, but I don't know if they ever even looked to find out for sure.. Definitely let us know if it works!

One thing to watch for... be VERY careful around your airbag. You don't want to accidentally set it off or damage it in any way. I don't know what it entails to get at those buttons, but it might put you close to it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ordered and installed a Gold Cruise cruisecontrol. It connects to the CANbus, needs 12V-IGN and needs a connection to your pedal. Standard way is to solder the needed wires on there, but I found a T-harness, so it is completely plug and play. For the interface I selected the top-of-the-line model, with memory settings. In the end I do not use the memory a lot, so I could have done without it.

Added benefit is that is also has a speedlimiter function. I enjoy it very much!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok, call me crazy (I know some of you will), I went ahead and also ordered an EX ecu and paddle shifting steering wheel with cruise control switch from LKQ today.

If my theory is correct, all I would need to do is install the new steering wheel and ECU and I should be good to go. I will try with the LX ECU first so you LX owners will know if an ECU swap is needed.

If I am wrong, please let me know if you are in need of any of the above parts, I will accept PayPal ;)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Ok, call me crazy (I know some of you will), I went ahead and also ordered an EX ecu and paddle shifting steering wheel with cruise control switch from LKQ today.

If my theory is correct, all I would need to do is install the new steering wheel and ECU and I should be good to go. I will try with the LX ECU first so you LX owners will know if an ECU swap is needed.

If I am wrong, please let me know if you are in need of any of the above parts, I will accept PayPal ;)
I won't call you crazy but how much will it cost?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Got a pretty good deal from LKQ, $275 for both ECU and steering wheel...
Even if you had to use both it's still a hell of a lot less than paying the difference for the EX.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes it is...

Now if I am really lucky the paddle shifter will work to.. But I will be happy with cruise only :D
I hope this works. There is a chance it will, but you might need a software update? I do not know if the ECU holds all the settings?
Honda makes a lot of different Insights (here in Europe we have different options than over in the US), so they must have a simple way of coping with all these different options...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
:D:D

Package arrived this morning from LKQ Houston...

I will be attempting the install in a bit, I will keep you all posted.
You probably already know this but just in case; be careful with the airbag! Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Don't want it going of in your face.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You probably already know this but just in case; be careful with the airbag! Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Don't want it going of in your face.
10-04, that's why I am having my wife do it... Kidding...

Actually if capacitors are used to power the airbags in case of power failure, simply disconnecting the neg. terminal will keep the danger for up to 10 minutes, however holding the vehicle's positive to the negative terminal (while off the battery) will discharge those capacitors ;)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts