Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK. I got extrememly excited when I saw this posting. I have a few concerns and then a possible solution. I am a fellow Base owner (2012) and I am finding out that I miss/need cruise control. I am not sure how the wiring changed from 2011 to 2012 but here is some information that I have discovered. All info is for 2012.

Base does not have the steering wheel ASSY harness inside the steering wheel. LX does which is 36770-TM8-A51
Honda Automotive Parts

Now I am not sure if this will plug into the Wiring Harness for the dash on the Base which is 32117-TM8-A41.
Honda Automotive Parts

I notice that there are no seperate diagrams between the Base, LX, EX and EX with Navi; however, the part numbers vary slightly

32117-TM8-A41 - Base
32117-TM8-A02 - LX
32117-TM8-A22 - EX
32117-TM8-A32 - EX with Navi

This is common amongst all other part numbers though. If you look up a common part that exists in all trim levels, their part numbers will vary slightly, as seen above. My question is if anyone can actually verify if there are different connectors on these wiring harnesses. My local dealership simply says they are different part numbers so they must be different. I ask about the number of connectors and they are unsure.

The angle I am looking at is if I were to get the ASSY cable with an LX steering wheel (~$100), would I then have cruise control? Would an LX ECU be required?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not sure about that part of the harness, but I can verify that the radio harness is completely different in the base from the LX/EX. I change the radio and had to use a wiring kit/antenna adapter from a 08 Civic I believe if I remember correctly on my 2011 base.

Someone else in a previous post only got cruise working with the LX/EX wheel and ECU change. Not sure on if the harness was changed as well.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Now I am confused? I thought the after market cruse control module included a lever you mounted on the side of the steer column and a brain box that went up under the dash with a few taps or pass through connectors?

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now I am confused? ...
I think I might have contributed to the confusion, Cobb. I was referring to getting the the stock cruise control installed on a Base model. Might have not been the best idea to put this in this post. I am sorry for that. My bad.

I am actually finding it difficult to find an aftermarket "Drive by Wire" cruise control kit in the US. Previous post mentioned a John Gold version and it looks very nice. It looks to only be available to resellers/installers. It is also available in the UK (?) along with other CAN'able cruise control kits. Is there anything in the US other than Rostra?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2010 Insight and would like to upgrade as well. but dont have the cash for the whole wheel. I hope you can help me with this question.

When you removed the old steering wheel. do you think that i could have upgraded by buying the switch assembly and installing into the blank on the left of the steering wheel?

I found this: see #5
SWITCH ASSY., CRUISE & MULTI &PADDLE
Honda Automotive Parts

Loren

·
Registered
10 Posts
well I'm a bit disappointed, I have a 2010 LX and I tried doing the EX steering wheel upgrade, $75 for the wheel, $100 for the install, the display changer works fine but cruise control (all I wanted) doesn't do anything. There were only two connections, one for the horn and one for the buttons, so I don't think they did anything wrong on the install.

I have a rostra unit that I got before the EX wheel so I'll probably just fall back on that, and reswap the steering wheels, an expensive way to do everything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So i purchased the EX wheel as well and no cruise control response. so what am i missing? if BZ said it worked for him with the ECU. i will check if there is a fuse i need to install.

other than that i am questioning his post.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It cost me $150 to get the rostra kit installed, it works fine. But the cvt tranny sucks for drive by wire CC, sometimes on hills it redlines trying to catch up. I still need to swap back to the lx steering wheel

·
Registered
28 Posts
It cost me $150 to get the rostra kit installed, it works fine. But the cvt tranny sucks for drive by wire CC, sometimes on hills it redlines trying to catch up. I still need to swap back to the lx steering wheel
You can change the settings of the CC kit. Also disengaging ECON mode might help.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Does anyone know if the oem option would work on a 2010 UK spec SE? There are only 2 trims (with navi option on both) in the uk and SE is the lower spec. The ES has cruise fitted as std. Thanks!!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newb - Needs to Cruise

If I'm to understand BZ correctly all I need to do is get the OEM part for the steering wheel and then it's plug-n-play. Is that right?

I've got a 2010 Insight EX without cruise control.

I wouldn't attempt doing this myself. I've a friend of a friend that is a Honda mechanic. I just want to be sure I'm ordering the needed parts. I'm just thinking this seems like just the steering wheel buttons. Doesn't there need to be additional parts that go in the engine?

SWITCH ASSY., CRUISE & AUDIO &NAVIGATION & MULTI | Genuine Honda | 36770-TM8-A11

41 - 55 of 55 Posts