Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hooked up my cruise control and it amazingly worked. :D A couple of weeks later while cruising, it quit. :( I sent for replacement components. This didn't solve the prob. I can only believe it's a connection problem. I have reconnected the wires once already (except for the ground wires). I used those plastic wire taps and the fuse taps . Is there any better and maybe not so difficult way to get good connections? I hate soldering and trying to do so at the computer connection is next to impossible (so is at the brake switch).

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I forget what they are called. But they basically look like a cigarette butt, and both ends have a section where they can get screwed in. I've gotten them at Autozone, and I'm sure any decent car parts store has them.

They are a little tricky to use if you need 2 wires in one side, and one out the other, but once they are in and locked they seem to work really well. I used them for my XM Radio install, though that was just to tap off of the power wire for the cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not sure which prob you r having, but from time to time it'll stop if I hit the set button twice really fast (like a doubleclick). If it get "confused" I just press bot buttons to turn it off and then fairly slowly like 1 sec intervals, press the set button 4 times turn turn it back on and set it. I just consider it a nuance of the unit. I just wish it wasn't so loud when accelerating. (rotating unit inside a plastic box)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Consider this also...

The only problem I have ever had with our Rostra CC happened right after we got it installed. The unit would engage haphazardly, and since I had it installed by a trusted local alarm and radio outfit that used to do the Honda dealers' work around here (and sadly, has since gone away), I took it back to them. The tech showed me the little wire antenna dangling from the unit under the dash, and said that the little radio emitter on the twin button gadget on the wheel had a VERY limited range. His answer was simply to extend the wire under the dash by eight or so inches, and zip-tying the loose end closer to the steering wheel shaft. Since then, my Rostra has never failed to follow my commands... hope this helps... :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Consider this also...

boogetyboogety said:
simply to extend the wire under the dash by eight or so inches, and zip-tying the loose end closer to the steering wheel shaft
Thanks! I will try this. Otherwise, your mention of taking it to an alarm/radio outfit may be the thing to do. I installed it myself, but 'ain't no good at troubleshooting. Best Buy maybe?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Good luck...

Let me know how it worked for you. 10 minutes under the dash may be all you need, before you take it to the Best Buy guys. Report for debriefing as soon as you can!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Good luck...

I did extend the antenna. This did not solve the problem. Thanks for the input anyway.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Too bad...

Sorry my guy's simple fix didn't do it for you. And I'm assuming the big flat battery is OK... it's got to be wiring. Yuk. I HATE to mess with wiring gremlins... :x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts