Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the verdict about tapping into the VSS? I am soon to install. Do I need to pull the passenger side carpet and locate the ECU and tap the VSS there, as many have done, or has someone actually used the EPS area? I'd rather not upset the car's interior too much; so where would be the best place to access a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wire?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Billy :!: :)

Not having installed a cruise in an Insight myself I can only comment on one point. The type of "tap" used AND its location can make a huge difference in longevity. Without additional countermeasures to completely seal an underhood connection it _will_ fail sooner than the same connection on the interior.

IIRC in regard to the work involved, your under the dash anyways so IMO its the better of the two choices. And VSS is supplied to the gauge assembly so there's no need to dig under both sides of the dash :!: ;)

P.g. 15-4 of the ETM.

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Looks to me like an easily accessable location will be C102 (16 pin - light blue connector) just to the right of the gas pedal. The connector immediately behind (toward the rear of the car) the SRS control unit (bright yellow wire connectors)

WARNING to all readers:

Any yellow connector or wire harness loom is part of the SRS (air bag) system. Disconnecting these wires without first understanding and following _all_ the precautions related to SRS systems can cause the air bags to deploy. You can be seriously hurt or killed by an air bag when "hit" at the wrong angle.

ALSO any sharp physical blows to the floor pan in the vicinity of the SRS control or to the unit itself can "simulate" a collision impact and cause the air bags to deploy. (No, not a brush of the hand or the flick of a finger)

Use caution :)

Orienting your view from the back side (opposite the "plug-in" side, just as it appears plugged in) C102 - light blue in color, its top has the connector retaining clip. Pin #4 is on the top row far right (in the corner) and is a wire colored blue with a white tracer. This wire color is VSS when found at the gauge cluster, climate control panel, MCM and EPS units (also ECM and TCM on a CVT).

C102 is also the primary branch point for VSS in a 5 speed Insight. If the signal goes open circuit here all is lost... ;)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks to me like an easily accessable location will be C102 (16 pin - light blue connector) just to the right of the gas pedal. The connector immediately behind (toward the rear of the car) the SRS control unit (bright yellow wire connectors).
You might want to mention that this connector (and the SRS unit) are UNDER the carpet!! It took me a while before I could find it.

C102 is also the primary branch point for VSS in a 5 speed Insight. If the signal goes open circuit here all is lost... Wink
Insightful Trekker, how well do you know about this? The schematic shows a junction between the VSS and C102 that varies by cable manufacturer(I think it says). Would this be done with two wires crimped in the pin in C102 or where would they put this junction?

Gary

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
InsightGary said:
Insightful Trekker, how well do you know about this?
Good point RE: wire connectors aren't always out in the open. Forgot its not "common" knowledge. ;)

Caught me in the verbiage :!: ;)

True. Junction conntectors aren't precisely specified as to their location. But if the wire splice opens the VSS circuit in the C102 vicinity i.e. a bad splice, then (almost) all is lost. Except the VSS feed to the ECM/TCM. ;) ETM p.g. 15-4, Circuit E93

Geez :!: Can't use a bit of color in the language anymore :?: :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts