Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just hooked up a Rostra Cruise on my CVT this Saturday. I am having trouble figuring out where to hook up the dark blue RPM wire. One post said it it was on the rpm test hookup behind the battery. I don't see this hookup anywhere. Also I read it was near the master cylinder. Still no luck. Does this test port exist on the CVT? I would think there would be an RPM wire on the computer under the passengers feet where the VSS was located. Also, I don't have a wire to hook to the neutral safety switch on my harness. Did I get the wrong harness by chance? Does anyone know where the NSS wire is? Someone said it might be pin7 on the same plug the VSS is located but they needed to confirm.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Hi Matt,

I hooked the Rosta cruise control seems like two years ago. The RPM wire does exist on the CVT models. It is in a small rubber service plug located near the firewall behind the aluminum bar running horizontal behind the master cylinder. It is used so the engine won't race if you put the car in neutral while the cruise is in operation. The electrical manual shows that this same wire also goes to a blue wire on connector A of the ECM used for engine speed. (be careful - there are two blue wires on that connector) The one for the engine speed is terminal 19 (the wrong one is terminal 3). Since you are already connecting into the VSS wire at the ECM, you might as well take connector A out and splice into terminal 19

The CVTs do not have a neutral safety switch as checked in the service manual. On the MT, it is connector B terminal 16 (a footnote indicates MT models)

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Connector A?

Hi Joe, just want to be clear. The ECM is that computer I spliced into under the passenger footrest area correct? Which connector is connector A? If I recall correctly the VSS was on a blue connector, seemed to be the third one out of 4. If you could tell me which one is connector A and describe in some fashion from which in to start counting connectors. I guess if you look at the 3rd to the last picture on this link:
http://www.portev.org/solectria/ho/incruise.htm
and tell me if that is the ECM. If so, the first connector that is in the picture would be A or would it be D? Also, I don't remember seeing pin#'s on those connectors so which end do I start counting and is it reverse because the other end is forward or what? You see what I am getting at here? Not having a picture makes it really difficult and I want to be sure before I go splicing into the wrong wire and fry a very expensive computer. If you could describe based on the picture in the link above, which direction to start counting (starting from the front of the connector as it is in the picture or the rear and from the top of it or the bottom of it. )

Thanks for your help!

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Hi Matt,

Yes the ECM is the computer that you just spliced the VSS wire into and the one shown in the picture with the yellow arrow pointing at the blue connector. I don't want to say left or right as a reference to the picture because I think that the camera was upside down in that shot. I will describe how many wires are in each connector:

Connector A: 32
Connector B: 24
Connector C: 31 (The VSS wire is in this connector)
Connector D: 15

Now you should know what one connector A is since it is has the highest number of wires and it is not the one with the VSS wire. I don't remember the markings on the connector but most connectors typically will mark where pin 1 is. But this one is easy. The connector has three rows of wires, terminal 19 is the blue wire in the center row and nearly in the center of the whole connector. The WRONG BLUE WIRE is terminal 3 and in a different row and not anywhere close to the center.

I think that is the best way I can describe it while avoiding possible orientation mistakes. If you plan on doing more of this kind of stuff, I would recomend the purchase of a service manual for the Insight. The show up on Ebay often. It really helps in times like this and helps avoid the potential of frying a component. This is where I am getting my information from in this post.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

This is perfect! Thanks for taking the time to dig up this info for me.

I will finish the job this Saturday. I will let you know how everything goes.

Matt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still having problems

Hi Joe,

Well, I hooked up to the blue wire this morning and it doesn't work. Still the RPM runs out of control. I hit the brake when it gets to 6000rpm.

I looked at the connector and you are right, it is labeled. Pin 1 and pin 11 are shown. Based on this labeling, it appears that the blue wire is in fact pin 15 and not pin 19.

How did you determine it was the blue wire and how did you determine it was pin 19. Any chance it is not blue but something else (I forget what color what I percieve pin 19 to be is.).

If you could take another peek at your book I would appreciate it.

Also, did you splice into this wire in your install or was it to long ago to remember?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Hi Matt,

I scanned the pages of the manuals that I was talking about earlier.
These scans are large in size but I wanted to get the detail that you
were looking for. Here is the scan indicating the the blue wire for the
service Tach is the same blue wire that goes to A19 on the ECM. (You
may have to click in the image and use the expand button to make it
the original size). Near the bottom right hand corner of the image is
the tach information. This next scan is the connector A information
and the information matches both books. That being said, I did try
the blue service tach wire under the hood and I don't think that it
worked for me either (it's been awhile). I think I know what your
next question will be but only you can decide to use the wire or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm, what now

Hmm, not sure what to do now. Guess I will give Rostra a call and see what they have done in this situation. I don't think there was a 3 cylinder option on the dip switches, not many 3 cylinder cars out there besides ours. I will let you know if I find an answer. Thanks for taking the time to scan that stuff in for me. I see that the connectors are strange in the way the pins are counted and that is why I thought it might be pin 15.

Matt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: hmm, what now

mattcand said:
Hmm, not sure what to do now.

My PM's have not reached you so now this route:

This post was on the 8th and I just joined yesterday. I must install the same on my 2006 CVT by 12/31. When you figure out that final wire and switch settings please let me know. Also the only in-stock source here in Ut wants $290 for it while 2 far away want only $215. But this time of year I would not get it in time. Where in LA did you buy yours?

tia[/u][/b]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Insight Rostra CC

Hey mattcand and joecvt where are you. How can I cruise control to LA in my CVT if you two won't help me with VSS and Tach location?

AKWEHL new member

1 - 10 of 10 Posts