Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2000 Red insight and since i purchased it i have been getting a rotten egg smell when i accelerate. I took it to my dealer 12 times and they finally replaced the CATS. but this did not fix the problem. I have since been told it is a common problem with Hondas and that there is nothing that they can do about it, and not to bring my car back for this issue. I was wondering if any of you have ever had this problem and if you have had any success in having it fixed. thank you for listening!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,924 Posts
rotten egg smell

The smell you are geting is the 1st. Cat "burning off". Try changing to a different brand of gas. Since I installed my "turbo" I have been using premium and haven't experienced a smell. Possible the additives in the gas are causing the smell.
NOTE:
I was born in Aiken S.C. and was back there in June of this year visiting relatives in Graniteville, and Augusta, Ga. Will be back there again the first of next year.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Due to emissions concerns, here in the NYC metro area we have RFG with low Sulfur so the rotten egg smell is not too common although I do get a wiff every once in a while from other cars. Definitely try changing brands of gas. Around here, Mobil tends to have a slightly higher Sulfur content that the other brands. My Mothers car makes a rather strong rotten egg smell when using that brand. No problems noted with Sunoco or Gulf.

·
Registered
242 Posts
sulphur odor

I think that's a fairly common problem. It's difficult to find low sulphur fuels here in the states. These cars were designed for low sulphur fuel. Try Amoco - they had a low sulphur program running in some cities - don't know if they still do.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Don't think I've ever smelt any rotten egg smell with ANY brand of gas on my Insight, HCH, or any car for that matter... Interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Agree with Braxus. The only egg smell that I know of is when a catalytic convertor is warming up in the first five minutes and wafts from the car in front of you...

·
Registered
23 Posts
The smell is definatley cat related. I have noticed the smell when really working the engine. Climbing long hills at full throttle will always result in a whiff or two. I wouldn't worry about it. The cats are so efficient on the Insight the only thing left is some odor!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
[/quote]

The rotten egg smell is Hydrogen sulfide. It is related to the % of sulpher compounds found in the gas you are using. Trying different brands of gas is your best hope.

However _if_ your MPG is low and or consistently on the decline an over-rich mixture will aggravate the condition. The CAT has to try and work overtime to scrub the exhaust, therefore even a greater % of this odoriferous gas will be produced.

Driving conditions that tend to cause the greatest build-up is light throttle, low to moderate RPM's, low to mid speeds (30-40mph) for several tenth's of a mile or more followed by a moderate acceleration. Then WHEW! PU!

John K. Bullock
aka. Insightful Trekker

·
Registered
5 Posts
rotten egg odor is GONE

I am the proud owner of a 2000 Insight with 32,000 miles. I have had the rotten egg odor problem for several months. I had it to one dealer several times. They said it was probably the CAT, but would not replace it because they couldn't duplicate the problem and could find no codes. I got fed up and went to another dealer. They found a code (by contacting the factory tech line) for a defective primary O2 sensor. They replaced this and so far the odor is gone. It has only been a week, but I think that fixed it. The technician said that this O2 sensor could cause the odor and the hesitation I had been feeling when driving. As I said the odor is gone and the power and ride is much better. This may not be everyones problem, but hopefully it will help someone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This smell has nothing to do with the catylitic converter other than it is telling you that it is doing its job and is functioning correctly. This smell is caused by a rich condition. Most likely cause by bad oxygen sensors. You may want to ask the dealer to replace both oxygen sensors. Many mechanics blame the cat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts