Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my 2000 MT Insight. I have noticed that when starting to move from a stop that it is rough. It takes about 2000 RPM to make a smooth start. I can start with just 1000 but it is extremely rough and shakes quite a bit. Is this normal because it is a three cylinder? Also, after I turn the key off the engine will still run for a few seconds (diseling), and if I let the clutch out the car will try to move (except when turning off while in AutoStop). Is this normal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How many miles on the car? What octane fuel do you use? Do you also get preignition (knocking) when accelerating up a steep hill?

The roughness and dieseling is not normal. You might try higher octane gas first just to see if the car stops dieseling. However, the Insight should not be dieseling even on regular.

Dieseling (when the car is shut off) is often caused by too high a temperature inside the combustion chambers. This can often be caused by improper ignition timing issue allowing combustion chamber surfaces to get too hot; and it can also be caused by too much carbon buildup around the valves or spark plugs which remains hot enough to ignite fuel.

Try running a measured amount of Techron through your fuel system. Techron is a fuel system and combustion chamber cleaner available at auto parts stores that you mix with gasoline when you refuel. It will help clean out the carbon after a couple of tankfuls.

If the above doesn't help it might be an ignition timing issue. The timing is adjusted constantly by the ECM and is more of an item to let a professional handle unless you have access to a tester to get the DTC's.

I hope it's nothing major.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
93,000-94,000. 91 Octane. No Knocking what-so-ever.

I bought it used recently and have no idea about how much carbon buildup it has. I have always bought the premium gas. Most of the time I am getting 91 Chevron with Techron, and the other times I am getting 91 Shell with V-Power. I have had a few tankfuls already because I drive alot.

The IMA battery was recently replaced but the BCM and MCM were on backorder and I am still using the old units. But this has nothing to do with timing. Should I take it to Honda for a checkup. They should have noticed it was a problem when they replaced the battery, Right? Also, would a compression test be helpful at all? It does have quite a few miles on it.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
By the fuel used (Chevron with Techron) I doubt carbon is a problem. And its wayyy too soon to "worry" about internal engine wear (compression test, plus you should also be getting other symptoms from weak compression).

The last time I had similar symptoms in my CRX HF it was the O2 sensor. And no it won't "code" in this partial failure mode. Although I believe that the fuel trim values should look abnormal and on the lean side.

It'll require a bit of driving with a scan tool connected while monitoring these values and knowledge of what should be normal for an Insight. A very difficult diagnosis.

Just remember that there are _many_ possibilities with symptoms such as you describe. Diagnosis shouldn't be limited to the O2 sensor (just keep it in mind. ;) )

HTH! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
It sounds like you've already done all the right things in regard to fuel. As Insightful Trekker mentioned you might try the 02 sensor. Beyond that you will probably need to hook up a scanner and see whats really going on.

Did you purchase the car from a Honda dealer? If so they may feel an obligation to make sure the car is running right. We hope it all works out well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I didn't get the car from a honda dealer. I got it from a used car dealership. :cry:

I guess I should mention that I also get poor gas mileage (53 MPG +/-). I'm sure it is not my driving style because I do everything, short of pulse and glide, to achieve better gas milage. I am able to get 52+ MPG in my parents' 1st gen. Prius with the same driving style; whereas they get about 43 MPG. New stock tires too @ 50 PSI.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Sounds like the engine is running too 'rich' - similar to leaving the choke out on an older car...

If it has been serviced before sale at a used car dealership, might be worth checking they used the right oil (0W-20W up to 5W-30W) and spark plugs (Insight specific) etc

·
Registered
31 Posts
as far as a smooth start goes. Anything under 2K RPM for me seems rough.

1st gear is very tall for a MT car. 35mph redline.

So that could also explain the jerking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts