Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I bought a 2010 Insight EX in Nov 2012 and within about 5 months the rubber stripping that surrounds the small triangular windows on the rear doors started coming loose. It's about 6 inches of rubber that hangs out and flaps in the breeze when I'm driving on the highway. After a month or so of trying to jam it back in, only for it to pop out about 10 minutes later, I took it to the dealership where I purchased the car, figuring it was a defect and would be covered but was told that trim items are not covered by the warranty nor are they covered by hondacare and that it would cost roughly $900 to fix both windows. I decided that was ridiculous and that I would just glue it back in myself.

Fast forward a few months to today when I was letting a passenger out of my car and noticed that the entire rubber moulding around the front passenger door had come loose along the top of the door. It is so pronounced that I can tug at it and pull it an inch or two away from the door frame. I will be taking it in to the dealership, but I can guess what they are going to tell me. I've searched on this forum and have seen one post about the interior rubber seal on the rear window coming loose, as well as a mention of the rear door window seals but it was hard to tell if it was the same issue based on the poster's description. I'm pretty shocked that the car is falling apart this quickly as I have had 30 year old cars in the past that have never had this issue.

Knowing that all Insights from this era had the issue with the top rain gutter weather stripping coming detached at high winds or in a car wash, I am starting to feel like Honda did a terrible job sealing up these vehicles and I'm pretty furious. I had a Honda Civic before this car and never had a single issue with trim. What is going on???

I would love to get a list going of everyone who has had issues with moulding, stripping, rubber or seals of any kind on this vehicle and send it to Honda. Gargantuan task, I know, but I'm not really sure what else to do. I don't really think I should have to drop $1,500 to fix something like this on a 4 year old car.

Any kind words or advice is appreciated.:mad:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I think your dealer is full of it and I would have strongly suggested you go to a different one. Now it may be too late
(Depending on the length of your Honda Care contract) if anyone has dealer or Honda Care issues a phone call or
letter to Honda can do wonders.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
The rubber seal that goes around the entire door jam on the body of the car, I believe costs $72.00 I saw it on E honda. Mine ripped when my driver door closed on my seat belt that was in the door jam. Took it to the dealer and they are replacing it no charge as a good will gesture/ customer care. This vehicle is still under warranty. I take both my Hondas to this dealer for service and have built a relationship at the dealership.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Ive had that problem. I ended up using a philips head screw driver and removed the trim around the top and rear part of the litle window and resandwiching the gasket before cranking it back down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your input. My car is still under Honda Care - I bought the warranty when I purchased the used car in 2012. Still have quite a bit left in fact. I will take it to another dealership and see what they say. Will also look into buying the part myself from the source recommended and see if they will fix that free of charge. Glad this forum is here for when I need to vent - and get constructive feedback! Have a great weekend :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have always bought Hondas in fact my last two Hondas went to 300k and one never had a leak or any issues with trim or door seals, I have a 1999 civic with over 200k in my driveway sitting next to my 2011civic and it too has never had problems with door seals and it has been in Phoenix's heat for 14 years. Now I have this honda that is just 3 years old and garaged and the door seals are failing / shrinking it's only 3 years old and honda will not honor it's waranty because I have 50k miles 14k over waranty! I am so disappointed my sister has a 2010 honda and two years ago the rubber seals in her windows turned to gum on all four windows I bought a honda because I trusted them and relied on their workmanship as I am only a teacher and can't afford repairs, to repair the door seals it will cost me $380.00 I haven't even asked about the rubber around the windshield trim or the rubber on the roof of the car. It is just not fair that I have to pay out over $800 plus to replace seals and rubber on a car that is only three years old. THIS IS MY LAST HONDA!
Honda you disappointed me, I am no longer a fan. You also lost my family and friends

1 - 6 of 6 Posts