Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Finally getting into mounting my Ham Radio into the Insight.

I would like to run a 12 AWG wire Red/Black combo into the engine compartment to attach directly to the battery. I will be using in-line fuse holders once inside the engine compartment.

The problem is that I am not seeing any unused grommets to run a wire through? Any ideas?

I did a search and did not find anything but I might have missed a prior post.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ABCA. I see the existing grommets with harness going through them. I am trying to stay away from active systems only because I don't want the risk of piercing an essential wire. I am hoping some of the other guys weigh in on this. I think Cobb has done some aftermarket stuff.
There was an unused grommet on my CRV and I was hoping the same for the Insight but it is so tight in that little engine compartment!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cobb, got you on going behind the fender as I was looking there but the rest I lost you on. Did you by chance take a picture of it anywhere here on the forum?

Specifically where you say "to the bat and the wire crosses the door gasket to the inside" is confusing me?

Thanks for the help :)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I think the high wattage bass guys who wire up Hondas for mucho power from the engine bay run to a body plug under the drivers seat to the engine compartment. The other option is to make a hole and use a pcv o ring to seal it or run across the door gasket.

What I did was run under the fender and crossed the door gasket to the inside. I did this for a 4 gauge wire for the amp I had in the rear and for the trigger wire to the relay kit for my fog lamps.

When I connect my seat heaters I need to redo this. I plan to go to a rear mounted starter battery and connect through the ima box to the 12 volt line and remove the 4 gauge wire I used previously.

I think next Ill just drill a hole in the firewall and tap the battery.

If your ham radio uses low power you could piggy back or tap a fuse. Just make sure it does not exceed the whole circuit. Hell, use the accessory plug.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Cobb, I was actually looking at the accessory plug as I have a small VHF/UHF radio that only does 10 watts.
I have always hooked up directly to the battery in prior installations and fused all connections. I will do the accessory option only after I truly exhaust getting the wires into the driver compartment from the engine compartment. I will keep looking. Thanks for the great ideas!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts